• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Robert Crais Elvis Cole series

gkbk

kickbox
Do these need to be read in order? I recently read Suspect and the first Joe Pike, and thought I would dive into the Elvis Cole series. I tend to pick up books for cheap when I find a good deal (Half Priced Books, ect.), and it is unlikely that I will find them in order. (I have read Money's Raincoat already)

Do these need to be read in order? I recently read Suspect and the first Joe Pike, and thought I would dive into the Elvis Cole series. I tend to pick up books for cheap when I find a good deal (Half Priced Books, ect.), and it is unlikely that I will find them in order. (I have read Money's Raincoat already)
I've read most of the Elvis Cole books and I think what I did was bought the most recent when it was released, so I probably did read them in order but can't remember if it would have made a lot of difference to read them out of sequence. Not very helpful but I'd go ahead and pick up any you haven't read, they are all usually good. Suspect was a standalone book and I thought it was a great read.

I think the Elvis Cole Series should be read in order, the relationship between Elvis and Joe matures. But, that's just me.

Suspect was fantastic, I enjoy all his stand alone books.

I think the Elvis Cole Series should be read in order, the relationship between Elvis and Joe matures. But, that's just me.

You're probably right Princess F - just can't remember all of the plots.

I read L.A. Requiem first. I picked it up overseas when I had some free time. Since then I've gone back and read every one of the series. I didn't read them in order and I sort of regret it. I'd definitly read them sequentially if you get the chance. Like Princess F said, the relationship between Cole and Pike evolves over the course of the novels. It's intersting to watch the genre change as well. Originally the novels were (for lack of a better classification) hardboiled detective fiction. As the series progresses they become increasingly more crime thriller-esque. Nothing wrong with that, just something I noticed.

I read Demolition Angel first and then LA Requiem. After that I picked up all I could find and set them in order of copyright date. My absolute favorite character is Joe Pike.

What's really fun is Crais has a reference to Robert A. Heinlein in each and every book he writes.

I read Demolition Angel first and then LA Requiem. After that I picked up all I could find and set them in order of copyright date. My absolute favorite character is Joe Pike.

What's really fun is Crais has a reference to Robert A. Heinlein in each and every book he writes.

Never picked up on the Heinlein reference - Crais doesn't write sci-fi does he - has he written standalones which were SF?

No, no SF, but he was a huge Heinlein fan and was able to meet him and take a tour of his bomb shelter when we were all much younger. From http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/pm652-art-hi.html

Mystery/thriller writer Robert Crais, a Heinlein fan (who puts at least one Heinlein reference in each of his bestselling novels), visited the house in about 1998 and was allowed to visit the bomb shelter and take pictures. (His photo essay is, unfortunately, still off line years after a web site update.)

I envy R. Crais his visit with Heinlein.

No, no SF, but he was a huge Heinlein fan and was able to meet him and take a tour of his bomb shelter when we were all much younger. From http://www.nitrosyncretic.com/rah/pm652-art-hi.html

Mystery/thriller writer Robert Crais, a Heinlein fan (who puts at least one Heinlein reference in each of his bestselling novels), visited the house in about 1998 and was allowed to visit the bomb shelter and take pictures. (His photo essay is, unfortunately, still off line years after a web site update.)

I envy R. Crais his visit with Heinlein.

That is really incredible - it's amazing how much I don't know about authors whose books I read and enjoy. :(

Many times all it take is an e-mail intro, meeting them at a convention or book signing. I have had "conversations" with Heinlein's widow before she passed, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, Anne McCaffrey and David Gerrold.

Think I posted, earlier, about how great "Suspect" is. One of the most heart-wrenching reads I can remember. Few things bring tears to this old man's eye, but "Suspect" did. I knew one of our local librarians is a "dog person". I recommended the book to her and she indicated, later, she really enjoyed it.

Love your Avatar Klunker. Everyone I know who has read Suspect has really enjoyed it and dog lovers probably loved it, I certainly did.

Love your Avatar Klunker.
Certainly, have no intention of "annoying" anyone. I do tell some folk that, at my age, I've earned the privilege of being annoyingly cranky!!! :>)

Haven't had many posts on this board. Too busy reading!! :>) What little I have visited, it seems like the posters are good people who simply enjoy curing up with a good book. Readers are an interesting breed, in that some enjoy sci-fi... some non-fiction... some history... some crime/spy fiction... some Westerns... etc. I just hope that the uptick in populartiy of electronic media does not completely become the demise of print media we all can enjoy. My wife and our oldest daughter have both masterd e-readers. Personally, I would much rather leaf through a "real" book.

Thanks for all the replies. I actually came across Chasing Darkness for $2.99 and didn't want to pass it up. I am enjoying it so far. I really did enjoy Suspect as well. I have two Golden Retrievers and am a sucker for dogs. This book was a great demonstration of the relationship between a dog and its owner. I have tried to explain it to people without dogs but never have gotten it right. This book nailed it.

I am actually a cat person, Auntie to a chihuahua...I don't like little dogs in particular. But, I've known this one since he was 3 weeks old and he's my baby. We were able to have a romp today and it was good for both of us. He owns my boss. Suspect was perfect for describing the love between a dog and his person, even for a non-dog person like me.

As for E-Readers, I have a Kindle...somewhere. There are books stacked all over the place. Print won't go out of style as long as a few of us still hit the bookstores.

Klunker, that's a great line about having earned the privilege of being cranky - must borrow it sometime. :)

I never thought I'd gravitate to a Kindle but nowadays I find trying to hold open a hardback book can be painful - seem to have some annoying arthritis in my thumbs - so the Kindle is perfect for me. I sometimes get books from the library, which are certainly less expensive than buying them for my Kindle, but the convenience for me outweighs the cost (that's my excuse anyway!):rolleyes:

Klunker, that's a great line about having earned the privilege of being cranky - must borrow it sometime. :)

I never thought I'd gravitate to a Kindle but nowadays I find trying to hold open a hardback book can be painful - seem to have some annoying arthritis in my thumbs - so the Kindle is perfect for me. I sometimes get books from the library, which are certainly less expensive than buying them for my Kindle, but the convenience for me outweighs the cost (that's my excuse anyway!):rolleyes:
My wife and daughter hardly ever buy books for their e-readers. Local library is connected to a large data base of free books. They also found a website... I think it's Book Buddy, but not certain... that has thousands of free e-reader selections. The site drops a "new" book each week into my wife's e-reader. She won't turn them down and feels she needs to read every one! Since she got her e-reader, that's the most peaceful/quietest it's been around our house in our 48 years of marriage!! I love it!! :>)

Back