• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Robert Jordan

brolie

i saw the late robert jordan's apprentice has finally finished the newest book of the wheel of time series and is due out november 3rd. so ive decided to read the first eleven before it comes out and have been really enjoying the story... a lot of similarities between him and tolkien but so it goes with fantasy novels...

anyone else read the series?

I've only read up to Book Four. They were entertaining, but the series didn't grab me the way Terry Goodkind's work did.

I lapped the first 5 books up in no time,but with book 5 I got the feeling the Wheel would be turning for eternity,and it was going to be a very long haul,and then Book 6 just wasn't up to the previous standard,and I retired from The Great Hunt! Maybe it's just me,and good luck to ev'ryone who goes the full distance.

yeah i am in the middle of book three right now and noooothing has happened except rand ran away and the black ajah attacked tar valon... and that is 350 pages.. uhhhg.. '

but its interesting u would say that about terry goodkind cuz i figured i would take a break from jordan and picked up wizards first rule.. haha.. once i get through dragon reborn i will probably take my break.. ur not the first person to say goodkind is awesome...

shadforth... that was hilarious btw...

oh man my mom just sang the funniest song when i told her the name of the series..

think journey

"wheel of time keeps on turnin..."

then i added

"the wheel weaves and the wheel wills"

hahaha... i laughed pretty hard

Im currently reading book 6 - Lord of Chaos. Its taking me ages because not a whole lot is happening & I'm not constantly looking forward to reading it (like i would be with most other books). I still think it was worth starting but I hope it picks up soon.

Lots of people seem to have read the 1st 11, and some have read them more than once so I take it it gets better..... Or else some people just don't get bored!!

my friend stopped after book six... she said she wanted it to go to modern times and was sick of the way they were talking...

OH! speaking of tho- i am starting to get really annoyed by the amyrlin because every time she says anything she says some stupid saying involving boatsman and fish.. "when the halibut snaps u dont stick ur head in the pot".... really annoying

Haha ya she does that a lot alright. Its a bit stupid but not too bad. I hate the way he keeps describing things the same, like every warder has a "face made from stone" or "face carved from stone"....stone, stone, stone.

I read a comment someone wrote before saying its as if Jordan is getting paid by the page, he might describe a room or what someone is wearing for half a page. I've noticed that in book 5 & 6, it just takes getting used to and skimming through those parts.

There is a lot more good than bad though, I wouldn't want to put any would-be readers off the books. Still a very enjoyable read, he has the ability to get a reader sucked in and you really grow to love or hate (in a good way) the characters.

oh man yeah.. ive gone back and forth between liking and disliking characters a ton... some characters i hate and it hasnt changed at all... nynaeve for example and egwene.. i dont like either of them.,..

yeah, like i was saying earlier, im in the third book and nothing has really happened... and rand has barely been in it and the book is called "the dragon reborn" so im kinda pissed about that too.. id love to know the grades and the journey to madness and all...

In book 5 Perrin isn't mentioned at all, that kinda pissed me off but he made a bit of a come back in book 6. The start of it anyway.

Try get to like Nynaeve & Egwene cause there are mentioned alot in the next few books. They are almost more central that Rand. I'm not going to say any more now incase i leak something.

for sure... rand has barely been mentioned in this book so i have pretty much forgotten him anyway! haha... im trying to read them before the 12th book comes out so imma have to step it up anyway ^_^

every time i talk to anyone about the books they say , "oh like *this* in the lord of the rings".. like the fades.. dark cloaked figures that are scared of water... the fact that its a group of people on a journey together... trollocs are like those messed up creations from that one guy (haha) u cant say that nothing i just listed doesnt have a similarity

nah the feel for the books is completely different. jordan is a patch on tolkien, no soul to jordan no soul, he also is a writre of a different generation and it shows.

the subject matter may be similar, but the boosk are very different

yeah jordan has better character development and takes breaks from the constant journey of walking ... i didnt like and enjoy the tolkien books nearly as much because there isnt as much...

im only on four and even people i have known to really like the books havent made it past 6 either.. but im hell bent to finish them hahaha

I'm going past book 6, if I thought the books were that bad i'd stop but they're not. When i buy the books i buy them in two's & three's from amazon. I have 7 & 8 already so i might as well read them. I want to read them.

yeah after getting about half way through the first book i asked my grandma if she would buy me the others for my birthday which had just happened to have been in like a week haha.. i cover my paperbacks in duct tape so they last longer and i did a whole thing for the WoT books.. haha...

Book six is getting very good, pity it took 600 pages to really become addictive! A lot of people seem to give up halfway through this book but believe me it picks up a lot! Really looking forward to book 7 now.

Back