• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Robertson Davies: Fifth Business

Wabbit said:
Mabye you should have actually read it for yourself, then you wouldn't be in this situation :)

you dont even know wats going on...ive read the book already and im just about done my essay except for some qoutes i have to add. tHE problem is that ive forgoten my book at school and it has all the qoutes i need in it.

please help

unhip_crayon said:
OMG, i am panicking... i forgot my fifth business book at school and i had quotes that i needed in there. PLEASE help me, im begging you! This essay is due tommorow and i need a couple of qoutes with page numbers please.
But if you realised this on Saturday, then you could have gone to the library to get a copy of the book. Or alternatively called someone who has the book to borrow it for a few moments to find those quotes you already had picked out. Or even gone to a bookstore. If you'd read the book then you should know the quotes you are looking for already, right?

Worst case, you front up to school, tell your teacher you left your book at home and that you'll hand it in by the end of the day. During lunch time you fill in the quotes you had picked out and that'll finish off the essay. Or go into school early and finish the essay in the morning.

Don't panic. If you know the book well enough to write the essay it won't take you very long to put the quotes in tomorrow.

^^^^^ya, thats what i was planning on doing...but if you guys do have qoutes it would be greatly appreciated. And i did go to the library and they dont have it and none of my friends that live close to me are in the same class.

the only qoute i havent found was the one on behavior...thats a tough one, can u guys help with this one?

thank you

well i finished my essay, 4 pages all together and i think i did good:D LOL, but now im doing an activity and i need to find 20 literary/historical terms in the book, i found 19 and all i need to find is "F. Scott Fitzgerals". I remember reading about this guy in the book sometime after the war and dunstan compares himself with this guy, i can't really remember. I need a page number, thank you

unhip_crayon said:
well i finished my essay, 4 pages all together and i think i did good:D LOL, but now im doing an activity and i need to find 20 literary/historical terms in the book, i found 19 and all i need to find is "F. Scott Fitzgerals". I remember reading about this guy in the book sometime after the war and dunstan compares himself with this guy, i can't really remember. I need a page number, thank you

Well, I finished my essay. Four pages altogether and I think I did well. But now I'm doing an activity where I need to find twenty literary or historical terms in the book. I have found nineteen. All I have left is to find F. Scott Fitzgerald in the book. I remember reading about this guy sometime after the war took place in the book where Dunstan compares himself with this guy. I can't really remember. I need a page number please. Thank You in advance.

Yeah, right, you did 'good' with your essay. I wonder if Word managed to wrangle better grammar for your essay than you have shown us here. Why are we still entertaining this lazy person who clearly has no interest in Literature? :confused: Where is the gain? Answer their requests and become a homework service? Or is it some delusion that we can create a book lover by being helpful and receptive?

Before we label me an asshole, I am but that's beside the point, remember I did re-write this poster's post showing at least a competent use of grammar. Up to them if they wish to learn from it or not.

Why are we still entertaining this lazy person who clearly has no interest in Literature? Where is the gain?

But, ions, where is the loss? I suspect that at least some of us are being somewhat entertained by this thread.

Davies isn't everybody's cuppa. And unhip is clearly marching to his own drum around here.

:D

The loss is hard to quantify and possibly different for most. My "losses" due to threads like this are pretty small but exist nonetheless.

• Hope and Dissappointment. I saw a thread titled about a book I am interested in. This sort of thread obviously dissappoints.
  • Time wasted. I gained nothing from taking part in the thread so the time, small as it is, is wasted.
  • Despair. This is the state of students?! No wonder I feel like I'm surrounded by idiots in the world. I AM surrounded by idiots. It's sad.
  • The efforts of those that help are wasted. A poster like this isn't going to learn a lesson until they do it the hard way. Being hand-fed here is easy and only delays the inevitable lesson they need to learn.

Nothing major but when there're a handful of these threads each visit it adds up to a unsatisfying experience. I guess me bitching more than contributing doesn't add to the experience of anyone else. ;)

Okay, ions, I feel your pain. After the holidays (and Lolita) I promise to reread Fifth Business and then I'll stand ready to discuss it here.

Deal? (I actually adore Robertson Davies.) Maybe unhip will still be around and will wish to contribute his thoughts to our conversation.

Nabokov and Davies... I hope Im not going to sprain my brain! :D

I'm hoping to get through the Deptford Trilogy sometime soon myself. Not sure when it'll happen though.

I take it that Fifth Business then is not one of those works such as Great Expectations where you can poke around in the cupboards at the side of the classroom and find a special version about 50 pages long with none of the hard words in it? :D

StillILearn said:
It is not. ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deptford_Trilogy

I am up for (re)reading the Deptford Trilogy in the year 2006 if anybody else is? It's been a while!

:)

I am. There's a good trade paperback with all 3 books in one printing at my local store I'll snap up I think. It is $30 CDN though. I do remember this book being on my Grade 10 syllabus, well around that grade anyhow. I don't remember if I read all of it or even part of it. I wasn't very consistent with my effort in HS. :rolleyes: Good Canadian author that I want to have read.

Help on underastanding Fith Business for my essay

Okay, first of all I want to say that I really liked this book, it is very phlosopical, whcih made it really ahrd for me to underatd the book fully.

Okay I have choosen to write about this:

In the Novel "Fifth Business" has many contrasting elements, such as war/peace, youth/old age, sanity/insanity, past/present, illusion/reality, light/dark, ect... Discuss the significance of any of the three of these contrasting elements in the novel.

I have decided to write on these three and I have wrote under what I think I can tal;k about, if you have any opinions please tell me:

sanity/insanity

insanity:

- Well I know the insanity part is mrs.Dempster

Sanity:

Who/what is the sanity part?

illusion/reality

- mary dempster and the virgin mary, he saw the picture of the virgin marry which he though looked the mrs.mary dempter before he passed out.

light/dark

Dark:

-lisel(devil)
- Shadow(the part of our selves we do not want to be), the (dark side)

Light:

-I don't know/confused who/what is the light element?

-------------
I think the hardest thing for me right now is brainstorms, I am having great difficulty on that. Can anyone please help me?

Thanks

I have merged this with the other thread in which a child begs for help with the book Fifth Business. The response would undoubtedly be the same!

Back