• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

S.E. Hinton: The Outsiders

opinion8ed2

Another I've just finished reading. Oy maybe I should've just made one thread and written about all of the books I've read recently. Hope not to upset any Moderators. >_<

Something that stands out to me above all are the characters that S.E. Hinton wrote. Amazing. I have no doubt that anyone who reads this book will find a character that sticks out to them--whom they can identify with-- whether it be the narrator Ponyboy or the "soc" Roger.

This has to be my all-time favorite book, as of now. It will probably change as soon as I read another amazing piece of literature, but I cannot get over how much this book really affected me.

What are your thoughts?

Ahhhhh, this brings back memories. :D

My brother had to read this for school, and on a whim I picked it up - I was hooked. :D Up till then, I'd only really been into the Famous Five, and Nancy Drew books. :eek: :p

It's a very gritty, realistic book....definately unlike anything I had read up till that point. I loved reading about Ponyboy, Dallas, and of course Johnny.... I think it was probably the first book I had read, where things didn't all work out in the end, and people didn't "live happily ever after". :rolleyes:

Also, that Robert Frost poem that Ponyboy keeps mentioning.... "Nothing gold can stay". I can still remember it, line for line, I read it so often. :rolleyes:

Actually though, my favourite book of all time, when I was around 13-14, was That Was Then, This Is Now, also by SE Hinton. If you liked The Outsiders, then you'll most likely enjoy that one. :) I think she should be required reading for all teenagers. :D

I think she is in Canada. We all had to read the Outsiders in grade 8. Things might've changed since I went through the program though...

This was a great book, I remember it too. I still dream about some of the scenes.

Hey Yall,

Ive never read the outsiders, but i do think that i will once i finish my other books. I must agree with marlasinger about my fav. hilton book being That Was Then This is Now.

Peace Love & Equality
Audie

Wow! I haven't thought about this book in close to 20 YEARS! You're right that it was very good and thought provoking. Even now, I can vividly remember Ponyboy and the others, even if the plot is vague in my head. That Was Then... was a pretty good book, but I didn't like it as much, so you're in for a treat, AudiePhlute!

The Outsiders is one of my favorite books. I've read it... I don't know how many times. I really like the way Hinton writes it and you're right about the characters... there's atleast one to relate to.

this is an OLD topic, but I just felt the need to say; this book CHANGED MY LIFE. I was a Saskatchewan farm girl and this book introduced me into a world I didnt know existed. I think I"ve probably read it 100 times, and think I might go re-read it tomorrow. The movie...hated it. It ruined my favourite book, I shut it off half way through and haven't seen it since.

I read it about 20 years ago and loved it. I also read That was Then This is Now and the one that followed that one called Rumblefish. They are all good books and are still taught in schools now. Every kid seems to be able to find something to identify with in them.

I read it in school as well , and loved it, think there's something in there every teenager can relate to. I liked the movie as well, but more for it's pure cheesiness rather than its merit as a film, the 'rumble' which is a great scene in the book was hilarious in the movie, more a comedy mud wrestle than a proper fight..... :D

mojo said:
I read it in school as well , and loved it, think there's something in there every teenager can relate to. I liked the movie as well, but more for it's pure cheesiness rather than its merit as a film, the 'rumble' which is a great scene in the book was hilarious in the movie, more a comedy mud wrestle than a proper fight..... :D

I also enjoyed it in school as well. I was struck with how I could visualize the characters in my head. Hinton did a great job of that and it was a very compelling read. With the way it was written, you could also tell that it had a "genuine" nature to it. It wasn't just some patrician writing about the down and out, which becomes obviously fake and patronizing to those who would dare attempt it.

hm i was actually gonna buy a copy of this book in Borders but i didn't since it hasn't really been a book that i've been looking for. yesterday i saw a copy in my school library anyhow

Back