• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Samuel Pepys

Safia

Has anyone heard of this guy? I'm reading his biography and I have read a short collection of his diary entries and I really want to get my hands on Mathews and Lanthem's complete translation at some point. They don't have the complete set in the library and they cost a bit to buy.

Anyway... has anyone? I'd reccomend the biography and him to anyone, it's so interesting and he's such an interesting fellow.

I think everyone who's been schooled in England has heard of him ;) Entries in his diary are used as eye witness views of the Great Fire of London in our History Curriculum (amongst other things).

His diary is posted every day in the form of a blog starting from the very first diary right up until his last. This should take about 10 years!!!! Each day one entry of his dairy is posted. It's done in such a way as for it to seem that he is still alive and writing down his thoughts each day for us to read.The diary was started some time last year so has a long time to go until it's done. You can go and read the older entries if you wish or you can start from today.

Much better reading this site than reading a book because with each entry there are notes and discussion about the entry, it's history, it's context, and so on. It's very good. Also, there is a huge amount of links regarding historical information to go along with your reading. They are divided into categories such as art, history, food and drink, architecture, and so on.

As I said, started some time ago so you have some catching up to do!!! It's really very good. Very interesting! Enjoy! :)

Yes... I've been there. It is quite interesting but personally I prefer the books. There's a good 11 of them with a companion. Besides, they use the old Brayburn edition from Project Gutenburg and I want to read the more recent translation.

Back