• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sandra Cisneros: The House On Mango Street

sunshine_books

Hello,

I recently finished reading the House in Mango street, a required book for school. After finishing the book I am totally clueless on what I just read.
Anyone know what House on Mango Street was actually about? Or was it just written on one level?

Thanks

This isn't really an answer to your question, because when I read The House on Mango Street, I didn't care much for it, and therefore didn't read into what Ms. Cisneros was saying. This message is more about a short story that she wrote that I absolutely LOVE. Please read: Eleven

That's a really sad story! Thanks for sharing it Liv. It really brings back elementary school for me. Elementary school was so awful, I wonder sometimes why people still force their kids through it.

i read the house on mango street when i was a freshman in high school for a creative writing class. i like her (sandra cisneros (sp?)) prose such as in the house on mango street and her poetry but not her novel. i can't remember all that much about the plot... i think it was bascially just a linear telling of the girl's 'growing up', but it was interesting because sandra had an odd/more interesting way of telling the story, the narrator had a beautiful way of thinking/expressing what was going on.

yeah... that probably didn't help you at all. :rolleyes:

I just discovered this book about a year ago at Value Village- I really liked it, and found that her descriptions about what it was like to grow up in that neighbourhood were totally convincing. I guess that's all that it was about too, a coming-of-age-story.

The House on Mango Street is about growing up in a bad situation, but never losing the hope that you can rise above it. Its also about poverty, ethnicity, and the role of women in Hispanic culture.

Back