• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

save the dandelions

tundra

Hello.
By day I'm a graduate student in computational mechanics...by night I'm one of you. A bookworm. Great forum.

Hello, tundra! What are/were/is The Great Events? :)

Mattyj! You're reading The Corrections! What d'ya think? Where are you in it? :D

I guess we could "search" out a Franzen thread somewhere if we had to.

StillILearn said:

Mattyj! You're reading The Corrections! What d'ya think? Where are you in it? :D

StillILearn - I just started it last night! I'm only on about page 30...Chip's parents and sister just arrived for lunch. So far I really like it. Only 30 pages into it and I'm already enjoying the character development.

sorry tundra - didn't mean to hijack your thread! :)

StillILearn said:

The Great Events by Famous Historians is the full name, edited by Rossiter Johnson. There are 20 volumes..and it's out of print. It's a history of the world dating back to before 5000 B.C., that includes chosen selections of great events (I guess you'd say the juicy parts) from books by historians on whatever era they specialize in. I've just started, so I'm reading an excerpt from The Dawn of Civilization. It's first edition 1905...with that great deckle edging. I usually don't read non-fiction, but have taken a dive into it since being annoyed with too many silly fictional plots in a row. Maybe I need some suggestions.

Hello Tundra, welcome :)

The Great Events by Famous Historians
Sounds like my kind of thing, would you please let me know what you thought of it after you've finished it?

tundra said:
The Great Events by Famous Historians is the full name, edited by Rossiter Johnson. There are 20 volumes..and it's out of print. It's a history of the world dating back to before 5000 B.C., that includes chosen selections of great events (I guess you'd say the juicy parts) from books by historians on whatever era they specialize in. I've just started, so I'm reading an excerpt from The Dawn of Civilization. It's first edition 1905...with that great deckle edging ...

Looks as if you have your work cut out for you. Good thing you're just a pup. Let us know where you're up to every once in a while?

Gem: I'll be sure to tell you how I like it.

StillLearn: I'll keep an update of my progress in my profile. Unfortunately the rest of the series is at my parents home, so I'll have to steal a few volumes every time I go home to visit. I'm sure it will take me a few years to finish the series since I'll no doubt get distracted by fiction. I like being a pup.

Thanks for the welcome.

Back