• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Scariest Book Ever?

And how can you not have seen Friends? It's only the best sit-com of the past decade (okay, okay, I'm not counting Frasier).

Cheers, Martin :D

scariest

Intensity by Dean Koontz gave me the chills, i read it in 2 days...
Even though i never read Misery, by S.King, it seems like it would of been scary as hell!

In reply to what Knowze Gungk said about what humans do to eachother:

'Blindness' by Jose Saramago. Not 'Booh!!' scary, but 'Oh my God, that's exactly what would happen if it was real!!' scary!

Communion by Whitley Strieber.

I was fascinated with the realm of UFOs and alien abductions at the time and this book totally had me engrossed and frighten at the bumps in the night while reading it into the darkest hours.

Originally posted by corythosaurus
Communion by Whitley Strieber.

I was fascinated with the realm of UFOs and alien abductions at the time and this book totally had me engrossed and frighten at the bumps in the night while reading it into the darkest hours.
[
QUOTE]

I read that book years ago and it freaked me out. Fairly played havoc with my imagination.:D

Re: Lock your doors!

Originally posted by HBinjection
Truman Capote
Author of Breakfast at Tiffany's [which I haven't read. Is it worth reading?]

Breakfast at Tiffany's is a very quick read, a character study of a fascinating woman but not terribly deep the way In Cold Blood is.

Insomnia by Stephen King.

I read it several years back, and every time I can't sleep at night, I think of it. Maybe some alien is slowly taking over my mind.... :eek:

Last time that happened was last night. Woke up at 2.30 am for no reason at all. It took me a long time to fall asleep again. Woke up at 5.30 am. "INSOMNIA" :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hobitten

It is not fiction, but.......

The scariest book I have ever read was Helter Skelter. It was hard to go to sleep at night after reading it.:eek: :eek: :eek:

It is not fiction, but.......

The scariest book I have ever read was Helter Skelter. It was hard to go to sleep at night after reading it.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well, i don't read Horror really. but the book that affected me most and gave me a few sleepless nights as "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote.

I don't really find HORROR frightening, I get more frightened and disturbed reading pyschological / real stories.

I can't even remember the last time a "horror" novel actually frightened me.

I'm with Sally: the only times I've really been frightened have been from psychological suspense novels.

The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid is a classic example. The killer in this was very believable and I could believe someone like this could easily be lurking around. This one really unsettled me.

Originally posted by Hannibal
The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid is a classic example.

Was that the one which included colonic irrigation using the barbed-wire toilet-brush? Or was that another of her pleasant little books? :eek:

Isn't there a new series due soon, in the UK, with actor Robson Green?

Third Man Girl

Third Man Girl originally posted:
... colonic irrigation using the barbed-wire toilet-brush ...
What?! :eek: You people make me sick!! :mad:

Only kidding. I love a bit of gore!

*wanders off to look for some barbed wire and a toilet-brush*

Being a horror fanatic, I find it quite difficult to find a book which really scares me these days.

I agree that In Cold Blood, probably because it really happened, was quite chilling. I found the most chilling aspects of this book were more about the state of society, crime and punishment etc than the actual murders though.

I have read all of King's stuff and love his novels but can't say any have really scared me.

I would recommend James Herbert for horror - not as good as King in terms of storytelling but more disturbing - eg The Fog, Others etc.

One of the scariest chapters of horror I have ever read was in the novel Watchers by Dean Koontz (it gave me goose bumps reading it).

Oh and the master himself Poe - he is a genius at building up the suspense eg The Fall of the House of Usher, The Pit and Pendulum etc etc.

:eek:

Originally posted by hobitten
Insomnia by Stephen King.

I read it several years back, and every time I can't sleep at night, I think of it. Maybe some alien is slowly taking over my mind.... :eek:

Last time that happened was last night. Woke up at 2.30 am for no reason at all. It took me a long time to fall asleep again. Woke up at 5.30 am. "INSOMNIA" :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hobitten

really? i read half of the book about 2 yrs back, and i just couldn't get into it... What happend to the old man? The last part i remember is when he started seeing colorful auras ...

Back