• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Scariest Book Ever?

Robson Green having colonic irrigation with a barbed-wire toilet-brush?? Now THATS TV i'd pay to see .... payback for all those horrible versions of classic songs they inflicted on us :p

Phil

PS: Im not even gonna mention Soldier, Soldier!

I wish I could say I've been scared but can't. I am, however, a sucker for girls getting killed in books but their deaths not being described (Savage by Richard Laymon and The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco spring to mind) even when they are just bit-part characters.

The way I'm more likely to react is with a smile when I see something in words that works. Or, that is to say, works for me.

Originally posted by Garthbooks
What happend to the old man? The last part i remember is when he started seeing colorful auras ...

I can't remember what happened to the old man - I think his name was Raymond. Anyway, the story turned into the Greek Myth of the three sisters (Clothos, Atropos, and Lachesis) who spun, did something, and cut the thread of life. Only they weren't sisters but little aliens or scientists. Definitely not King's best - his domain should still be the short story and novella although some of his novels (mostly the earlier ones) stand up and can be counted.

Originally posted by Garthbooks
really? i read half of the book about 2 yrs back, and i just couldn't get into it... What happend to the old man? The last part i remember is when he started seeing colorful auras ...

Oh Gee, :confused: I

don't think I can remember.

Somehow I think that he was "transported" into another world - the alien world. But please correct me if I am wrong.

It's been ages....

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by hobitten
Oh Gee, :confused: I

don't think I can remember.

Somehow I think that he was "transported" into another world - the alien world. But please correct me if I am wrong.

It's been ages....

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Insomina by Stephen King. I didn't enjoy this book.

I don't scare very easily with books - not like I did when I was a wee thing - that's one of the reasons I stopped reading horror.

But thinking back, I remember being scared when I read "The Fly" - short story by Langelaan. For some reason that story stayed with me for ages. I have to join "The Shining" club - that's the only Stephen King that really scared me. Another book that I found really disturbing was "Red Dragon", Harris.

Vixen.

Originally posted by Mile-O-Phile
I am, however, a sucker for girls getting killed in books . . . even when they are just bit-part characters.

There. Does that remove the thorns from your rose? :p

Third Man Girl

I believe my words were: "I am a sucker for girls getting killed in books but their deaths not being described"

I'm a latter-day romantic. Where most books glorify in the killings whether it be by killer, vampire, or dangerous beasts I can usually tell when these characters are literary fodder. But when, however, I like a character and they leave the narrative only to turn up dead and I haven't been privy to their death then they weren't just said fodder but can create an emotional link (i.e. [gossip]I can't believe <<insert name>> is dead![/gossip]) while I can believe <<insert other name>> here is dead because I've read it and wallowed in all the details.

I'll have to agree with Azazello.

"The Masque of the Red Death". is one of the two most scariest pieces of Litrature I have read.

The second one was a translation of a sort of a diary in my native language and it gave me the creeps. I read it a long time ago, when I was about 9-10 and it left a marked impact on me for the next 2-3 years. All I can remember of it is a House which has been cursed or something like that and some party or the other have to go to a North African for help. I also sort of remember that the quiscent spirit that dominates a person of a family gradully tries to seep into others. It's all very hazy for me, but I remember the horror well.

I don't really scare very easily at all - probably comes from having a rather hair-raising childhood. However, House of Leaves scared me a little at times, especially as I read it into the early hours of the night, alone in a big empty house, with little in the way of lighting.

I remember finding Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler rather scary too.

But sometimes, its the non-fiction works, like Ken Alibek's Biohazard that are the scariest.

Martin said:
I don't read horror novels that often, almost never actually, but there is one that I just have to mention in this thread, considering it's just so scary and so good.

The novel I'm talking about is 'House of Leaves', which is the debut novel of an author named Mark Danielewski. The novel has a very simple and interesting premise. A couple buy a house which turns out to be a hole lot bigger on the inside than it appeared on the outside. Also, these mysterious rooms keep shifting and moving.

Sounds lame, you might say, but the interesting part is the way in which the novel has been written. It's about a guy who finds the written account of this aforementioned couple, and his estrangement from society as he reads all their experiences. The novel also recounts the events caught on several videotapes made in the mysterious rooms, and this is done in a very compelling and scary way. As you further progress through the novel you will actually physically notice the despair experienced by these people, simply because the layout of the pages will start to shift, making it more difficult to follow.

Give this one a go, it gave me quite a scare.

Cheers, Martin :D

that sounds FANTASTIC! You just made my "to buy" pile larger by one!

Regards
SillyWabbit

"The Masque Of The Red Death" by Edgar Allen Poe was really scary but it's about 10 pages.
"It" by Stephen King is the scarest book i've ever read.
Also Clive Barker's 'Books of Blood' have scary atmosphere. Finally some little stories of H.P.Lovecraft scred me.

Nice thread ! I can definitely agree with those who talked about The House of Leaves and Into Thin Air, both books are way beyond competition with anything else I have read, both in my top 5 ever, together with The Secret History, Revolutionary Road and Perfume.

However, the most horryfying books I can propose to you are the books from Clive Barker. Start with some of his short novels in the compilation Books of Blood, and you'll see what I mean. 2 others are Ira Levins's Rosemary's Baby and off course The Excorcist !

Msm

Back