1. Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Scariest Book Ever?

Discussion in 'General Book Discussion' started by kasstorr, Jun 3, 2003.

1. phil_t

phil_t New Member

Currently Reading:
    Ringworld - Larry Niven
    Robson Green having colonic irrigation with a barbed-wire toilet-brush?? Now THATS TV i'd pay to see .... payback for all those horrible versions of classic songs they inflicted on us :p

Phil

PS: Im not even gonna mention Soldier, Soldier!

2. Stewart

Stewart Active Member

I wish I could say I've been scared but can't. I am, however, a sucker for girls getting killed in books but their deaths not being described (Savage by Richard Laymon and The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco spring to mind) even when they are just bit-part characters.

The way I'm more likely to react is with a smile when I see something in words that works. Or, that is to say, works for me.

3. Stewart

Stewart Active Member

I can't remember what happened to the old man - I think his name was Raymond. Anyway, the story turned into the Greek Myth of the three sisters (Clothos, Atropos, and Lachesis) who spun, did something, and cut the thread of life. Only they weren't sisters but little aliens or scientists. Definitely not King's best - his domain should still be the short story and novella although some of his novels (mostly the earlier ones) stand up and can be counted.

4. hobitten

hobitten New Member

Oh Gee, :confused: I

don't think I can remember.

Somehow I think that he was "transported" into another world - the alien world. But please correct me if I am wrong.

It's been ages....

:confused: :confused: :confused:

5. Kaz

Kaz New Member

Currently Reading:
    See below!
    Insomina by Stephen King. I didn't enjoy this book.

6. Stewart

Stewart Active Member

You wouldn't be alone there.

7. vixen

vixen New Member

I don't scare very easily with books - not like I did when I was a wee thing - that's one of the reasons I stopped reading horror.

But thinking back, I remember being scared when I read "The Fly" - short story by Langelaan. For some reason that story stayed with me for ages. I have to join "The Shining" club - that's the only Stephen King that really scared me. Another book that I found really disturbing was "Red Dragon", Harris.

Vixen.

8. third man girl

third man girl New Member

Currently Reading:
    The Book Forum
    Can't let you away with that one. :)

Explain, please?

Third Man Girl

9. Stewart

Stewart Active Member

I would explain it if the phrase wasn't taken out of context. ;)

10. third man girl

third man girl New Member

Currently Reading:
    The Book Forum
    There. Does that remove the thorns from your rose? :p

Third Man Girl

11. Stewart

Stewart Active Member

I believe my words were: "I am a sucker for girls getting killed in books but their deaths not being described"

I'm a latter-day romantic. Where most books glorify in the killings whether it be by killer, vampire, or dangerous beasts I can usually tell when these characters are literary fodder. But when, however, I like a character and they leave the narrative only to turn up dead and I haven't been privy to their death then they weren't just said fodder but can create an emotional link (i.e. [gossip]I can't believe <<insert name>> is dead![/gossip]) while I can believe <<insert other name>> here is dead because I've read it and wallowed in all the details.

12. bobbyburns

bobbyburns New Member

has anyone read gravity's rainbow?

13. Stewart

Stewart Active Member

Not yet but it's on my list.

14. bobbyburns

bobbyburns New Member

you've read finnegans wake though? that's awesome.

joyce is the bees knees.

15. Aiel

Aiel New Member

I'll have to agree with Azazello.

"The Masque of the Red Death". is one of the two most scariest pieces of Litrature I have read.

The second one was a translation of a sort of a diary in my native language and it gave me the creeps. I read it a long time ago, when I was about 9-10 and it left a marked impact on me for the next 2-3 years. All I can remember of it is a House which has been cursed or something like that and some party or the other have to go to a North African for help. I also sort of remember that the quiscent spirit that dominates a person of a family gradully tries to seep into others. It's all very hazy for me, but I remember the horror well.

16. Skycat

Skycat New Member

I don't really scare very easily at all - probably comes from having a rather hair-raising childhood. However, House of Leaves scared me a little at times, especially as I read it into the early hours of the night, alone in a big empty house, with little in the way of lighting.

I remember finding Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler rather scary too.

But sometimes, its the non-fiction works, like Ken Alibek's Biohazard that are the scariest.

17. Wabbit

Wabbit New Member

Currently Reading:
    words! I devour them, yet still I hunger.
    that sounds FANTASTIC! You just made my "to buy" pile larger by one!

Regards
    SillyWabbit

18. Martin

Martin Active Member

Currently Reading:
    The Fry Chronicles
    Rightfully so, great book.

And tres scary to boot.

Cheers, (multilingual) Martin :D

19. SPEEDY_PARKER

SPEEDY_PARKER New Member

"The Masque Of The Red Death" by Edgar Allen Poe was really scary but it's about 10 pages.
    "It" by Stephen King is the scarest book i've ever read.
    Also Clive Barker's 'Books of Blood' have scary atmosphere. Finally some little stories of H.P.Lovecraft scred me.

20. msm

msm New Member

Nice thread ! I can definitely agree with those who talked about The House of Leaves and Into Thin Air, both books are way beyond competition with anything else I have read, both in my top 5 ever, together with The Secret History, Revolutionary Road and Perfume.

However, the most horryfying books I can propose to you are the books from Clive Barker. Start with some of his short novels in the compilation Books of Blood, and you'll see what I mean. 2 others are Ira Levins's Rosemary's Baby and off course The Excorcist !

Msm