• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

School Uniforms - Mandatory or not?

Motokid

Should public school kids be forced to wear a specific school "uniform"?

Or does that infringe upon the creativity, and expression of the individual child?

There are kids getting killed for their sneakers, and kids that get picked on because of the clothes they wear. Uniforms might help cut down on this type of thing.

Here in America, most public school kids don't have much restrictions on clothing. A standard "uniform" is a topic of hot debate in some school districts around the country.

What do you think?

I wore a uniform in elementary school. Well, not a real uniform... We just had to dress in blue and white.

I don't really know where I stand on this. The uniform sometimes bothered me, but it didn't scar me for life, so...

My kids go to public school, and do not have to wear a uniform, per se....They have limitations on what kinds of controversial clothing they can wear. For obvious reasons, they are not allowed to wear insulting or vulgar clothing. Girls cannot have mid- drifts (As a parent, I would never allow it personally) you'd be surprised how many parents allow their daughters to be half naked.

I live in a middle class suburb outside of Chicago, and for now, we do not have problems with gangs. So colors are not an issue.

If uniforms were proposed, I would not have a problem with it. I'm flexible and I tend to just go with the flow.

Yes, they should wear uniforms. It teaches them conformity. I wore a school uniform.

It should be mandatory at school and, for women, mandatory until the age of 30. :p

Some of the best public magnet schools have adopted uniforms and the kids really like it. Of course, those are mostly kids who want to focus on academics, not make fashion statements or be seductive. It's viewed as not just a social leveller but relieves parents of the financial burden of supplying fashion for their kids. Plus, it makes it easy to get ready for school.

Seems like the kids in my son's school have adopted their own uniform: cargo pants, flip flops, tiny tank tops for girls, t-shirts for boys. Not that it looks good.

I wore one of those cute plaid pleated skirts for 12 years. Different colors for different schools. I still wear them a lot. I still wear a short skirt most days. Guess I got brainwashed. The thing about uniforms is that it really doesn't impinge on individuality. Everyone I knew in school had their own idiosyncracies. I had to wear a white blouse, so I wore vintage ones from the 30s and 40s. No harm done.

Stewart said:
Pretty much nothing. :rolleyes:

As much as I like that idea for about maybe 5% of the general population...there's the other 95% that probably look better in clothes than out of them....

plus....when you have daughters of your own you might change you mind on that one.... :eek:

I told you.

I went to two schools. In the first one, we had uniforms. They had to be exactly the same (they even told you where to buy them) and we hated them. We were only happy when someone came from a school in London and showed us a picture of her uniform (including tie and silly hat).

But I can understand the reasons for the uniform, specially in schools with children of different income.

I'm totally in favour of school uniforms. I wore one my entire school life and it was just what you had to do. It did help that almost all the schools in my area had uniforms of some type, so that kids didn't really care about the uniform concept itself.

While at my primary school the uniform was just wearing red, white and/or blue, in high school it was a lot more strict. There was a summer (gingham dress) and a winter unifrom (skirt, shirt and tie), and these could only be purchased from the school uniform shop. But there was no social pressure to have the best and newest clothes, which was a relief for me as we never really had the money for the newest clothes.

I don't understand the whole 'quashing individuality' argument. You get to wear what you want 16 hours of the day, you can bung on a uniform for the small time you're at and going to school. It means that everyone has a common denominator and it is one less thing for bullies to focus on. Why should income and the ability to afford the latest styles impact upon the playground hierachy?

Where are all our students?????

There has to be somebody here who thinks a uniform will in some way restrict who they are, and their ability to express that?

I've heard stories of parents getting outright enraged over this topic. And I'm talking about siding in favor of no uniforms.

Most of what I've heard about would involve some kind of kaiki (spelling?) "Docker" type pant and a collared, polo type shirt of some standard color. Not sure if the girls would be required to wear skirts or dresses or if they too could wear the pants? Girls in America are very much not into skirts for the most part, at least in my area.

I'm not sure about shoes. I'll have to ask around...

Let's face it, kids are cruel. To seem cool to other student, a lot of kids will pick on others. 99% of the time, the teasing is about their appearance. They might have messy hair, they might be chubby, they might be freckled or wear glasses, or they might not wear the right name brand. Wearing a uniform definitely cuts down on the amount of teasing you can get. I don't think it solves the root of the problem, ie. the insecurity of the bullies. But it is a good place to start.

As for uniforms keeping kids presentable and covered, yes it helps, but not always:

Brit%20-%20Baby%20One%20More%20Time.jpg

Stewart said:
It should be mandatory at school and, for women, mandatory until the age of 30. :p

Ok - this made me laugh :D It reminded me of the 'themed' nights the clubs put on when were at university :D

I'm all in favour of school uniform. I wore one for both Primary and Secondary school. My Secondary school uniform was the worst, pleated skirts and white blouses with school jumpers. Luckily blazers were not compulsory and we did not have to wear ties (Phil had to wear both a blazer and a tie at all times). We did manage to get away with straight skirts and polo shirts though ;) Our school was fairly strict and your skirt had to be within a certain length (no more than two inches above your knee if I remember rightly). If they caught you with incorrect uniform on, or with your skirt hitched up (as alot of the higher years did) - you received a detention :rolleyes:

However they did promote conformity and there was no 'looking down' upon those students whose parents couldn't afford the latest trends in clothing as everyone was forced to wear the same. I still shudder in disgust at the thought of the sports knickers they made you wear (due to the length of the sports skirts) - luckily when you were older you could get away with cycling shorts if you came up with creative excuses :D I should probably say that I went to a single sex secondary school and they were slightly stricter than some of the mixed schools.

I remember seeing students being interviewed on the news about their school dress code being brought in to prevent stomach revealing tops, spaghetti strap singlets, offensive t-shirts etc. The kids were saying, "I don't really see why we should have to conform" "This sort of structure represses my individuality". It was a hoot. Honestly, if the only way you can express yourself is through materialism, there's a problem that needs to be addressed and school uniforms should be encouraged to assist in this case.

school uniforms

As a mum of 2 teenage girls i think uniform should be worn,it is smart! It is stupid to think a uniform can restict a person or stop them expressing themselfs! The only down fall is usually the price it usually cost me £250 for uniforms,shoes and p.e kits :)

School uniforms are there for a reason and its a good one. To make everyone the same. Although you could still tell who has money and who doesnt. Also the skirt length varied from girl to girl too...tarts!
Its not all good though. I went to a catholic school with green blazers so it wasn't difficult to miss us. I lived in scummy Bo'ness for a year or so and had to walk through the town in my blazer, dodging the spit balls and flying bricks...not even catholic...!

Ice said:
Phil had to wear both a blazer and a tie at all times. We did manage to get away with straight skirts and polo shirts though ;)

What, you and Phil?

Do you have a picture of him in his skirt?

Don't take out the punctuation :p Alas, no - I have never seen Phil in a skirt, trust me it wouldn't be a good sight!

Anyway, don't all you scots wear skirts ;)

Back