• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Science Fiction

DaveOwen

What seems to be the main magnet or motivator that draws you the reader, to that genre and author?

Is it the infinite possibilities?

Would it be a stretch to say, science fiction may be and escape to imagined realities, which may ultimately be true.

Imagination is the catalyst for creation

Perhaps, science fiction is the expansion of your dreams and fantasies.

I, am not a gifted writer, but would like to know your why.

Actually, I am not especially drawn to the sci-fi aspects of the genre. Instead, I am drawn to interesting stories, well told, with interesting and rounded characters, believable dramatic tension and some sort of recognizable conflict resolution. More often than not I have found these elements weak in many of the recommended and famous sci-fi novels I have read. Whiz-bang settings and action do not a novel make. At least for me. Now back to regular programming.

It's true, a good story can be told in any venue. I think what we are all interested in the human condition, how humans react in certain circumstances. To put humans in a "science fiction" mode is to place us in very different conditions. Dealing with the lack of oxygen, strange creatures tests those limits. I suppose it is the testing of our limits that draws many to sci-fi.

This reminds me of when the original Star Trek came to television back in the '60's. It was advertised as "the Wagon Train" in space. In case that's before y'all's time... heh... Wagon Train was literally that, a story of a wagon train trekking across the American West of the 1800's. Human conflict. Same difference.

. . a story of a wagon train trekking across the American West of the 1800's.

Yes, indeed! Many's the story that has been hung on the frame of a journey. Even ignoring those that use the metaphor for the journey of one's life.

Science-Fiction is a convenient term. Science covers all manner of activity, from understanding the composition of stars to developing weapons systems to navigating the complexities of our brains. And everything in between. So the word itself conjures up so many ideas and images in our imaginations, and to satiate these we turn to sci-fi, which appears to promise us those very ideas and images.

Science-Fiction is a convenient term. Science covers all manner of activity, from understanding the composition of stars to developing weapons systems to navigating the complexities of our brains. And everything in between. So the word itself conjures up so many ideas and images in our imaginations, and to satiate these we turn to sci-fi, which appears to promise us those very ideas and images.

There is a concern among some fans that science fiction and sci-fi are being used interchangeably yet have come to represent separate genres. There's so much called sci-fi that is absolutely science-free. Like Harlan Ellison said "2001 is science fiction, giant ant movies are sci-fi...that's the difference."

There is a concern among some fans that science fiction and sci-fi are being used interchangeably yet have come to represent separate genres. There's so much called sci-fi that is absolutely science-free. Like Harlan Ellison said "2001 is science fiction, giant ant movies are sci-fi...that's the difference."

And then there's SyFy.

Just making my first acquaintance with Ray Bradbury through his Martian Chronicles. He is extraordinary, whichever the category. :)

^ Bradbury has a ridiculous amount of short stories too, here's one: The Veldt - Ray Bradbury

Joderu95,the formicium giganteum will be rolling in their amber!
As long as we don't forget the Fiction bit, I'm not so fussed with labels.

SyFy is special. :|

And then there's SyFy.

I know. I like to think some exec said "there's really no science going on here, f*** it let's change the name."

I'm not so fussed with labels

Yeah, I think most people probably feel this way. I hadn't really thought about it until I'd heard the argument from professionals who've spent their lives immersed in the genre. They make a good case though when you think about classifying William Gibson and the Warhammer series in the same section (HEY oh, that was for you sparkchaser ;) )

So much of what you read and see these days is the "same thing" over and over. Sci-fi opens up the possibilities. The writer is no longer bound by the possible, but only by the limits of his imagination. We read to escape our everyday lives. We also dream to escape our everyday lives and sci-fi is an ultimate dream. What new world can the author come up with? Yet, good sci-fi is still grounded in the reactions of the characters and our own personal hopes and fears. We all want to know how we could deal with impossible situations. We all ask ourselves what we would do in the same situation. That is where the fun is: measuring yourself against the solutions presented by the author. A good sci-fi book is a personal adventure where you are not actually going to die if you get it wrong. You can test yourself and prepare yourself for the real world.

So, I'm taking this Sci-fi Lit class and honestly, I realized I'm more drawn to the aspects of Soft Science Fiction. Soft SF is basically anything that surrounds psychology, sociology, fear of the unknown. So a story could take place in space, on an unknown planet, or something like in Ender's Game. But it's not about the Science Fiction but about the characters and surroundings, and what happens. I see a lot of people generally feel the same way.

Soft SF opens up for more possibilities about the characters and where they are, where as Hard SF has to be very precise about the things. Think about how a lot of Star Trek shows are full of technobabble (technology speak); how things they discuss have to be true to astronomy, or space, or certain types of technology must be accurate and plausible.

I just realized I was rambling on a probably already dead thread, but I'm new. Plus I just had to write an essay about the different types of SF. :whistling:

Science fiction expands the border of possible. I am definitely more a fan of soft sci fi than hard sci fi. These books tend to be a bit shorter than fantasy books too, which helps because it forces the author to get to the darn point in a semi-timely fashion. I like getting invested in characters but I don't need to know exactly how many sequins are on their black cocktail dress.

It's also a blast to write sci fi. I like that you can break basic laws of nature so long as you come up with something that can reasonably explain that. It also shows that technology doesn't change people; their motivations are usually fairly simplistic: love, money, power, control, etc.

Back