• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Seeing your own name in a book.

From the 'Talk about Stupid' file:

when I was in school my English teacher owned a large leatherbound dictonary with his name embossed on the spine, which he kept on a shelf in his office. A girl coming out of his office said to me once, "wow, he must be really smart." I go, "Why?" She says, "He wrote the dictionary!" hawhawhaw

In the first Harry Potter book (and maybe a few others in the series, I haven't read them in ages), there was a centaur with my name (Ronan). It surprised me because my name is very uncommon, at least in Canada.

Bonzo said:
It surprised me because my name is very uncommon, at least in Canada.
Lucky you, you never heard of Ronan Keating.

My mother named me after a character from a book. The name is even in the book title. I don't know if I resembler her in any way because I've never read the book.

I'm never likely to see my name in a book as my first name is very much a 70s name and therefore out of fashion, and my last name is most common in Yorkshire and Lancashire. Perhaps it has already been in a book and I just haven't read that particular one.

I don't think my mother ever read those and 'tenant' would be a weird name, wouldn't it?

No, it was a children book.

I used to get a small thrill out of reading my name when I was growing up, but as I've already posted elsewhere, Francesca is a very very common name here.

The biggest thrill I got was hearing it in a song way back in the 70's. A guy called John Stewart wrote and sang it, it was called 'Oh Francesca' if I remember rightly.This was when Matt and Luke were still a stonewashed denim speck in Mrs Goss' eye though

Not likely to happen to me, my first name is Altaira and my last name is very common. There's a Star called Altair which is found in all astronomy books but that's the closest I've ever got.

I've never read my name in a book. Shandra isn't that common of a name, but it's not one that would never get used, I don't think.

well, seeing as my first name is jessica, i see that all the time, i've seen my last name once and it was kind of surprising and cool, i've never seen my whole name though. my dad actually has an author with the same name as him who wrote a book about outhouses, which i think is quite apropriate!!

I run into my first first name every time someone calls their grandma by the classic nickname - yep, you guessed it, my name is Nanna. Thus also the reason I took a second first name, so when talking to native English speakers I can present myself with a name that won't get me the reaction "Heh hehe, that's funny, that's what I call my grandma." My second first name is Jemima.

Besides that I have two very uncommon Danish last names... so the chances of my name showing up in a book is about as close to nil as you can get.

Both my first and last names are not common in the U.S. so I've never seen in print other than the clothesline "Rafaella" (spelled differently) or the two restaurants in Greenwich Village named "Raffaela" (again, spelled differently).

Back