• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

September Book Discussion - The Magician's Guild

rune

The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan is this months book discussion :D

So what did everyone think of it?

Was the plot exciting enough?

What did you think of the characters?

What did you hate about it?

Any comments at all :)

I'll be a bit late to join in, but I most definitely will be reading it. Just have to get through The Three Musketeers first. :)

Sorry, I really just haven't been in the mood for this type of book recently. I bought it and will read it at some point, but I've already had to put down two similar books and don't feel like starting this...

I brought and read this book a little while back, so bear with me if comments are a little vague.

The main character was smart, sassy, not overwhelmingly beautiful, and easy to get on with.
The magician guy who first saw her powers from the Guild is really well-written too (can't remember name).

In all, this lady author has a talent for writing good characters and snappy dialogue.

The initial part of the book I found quite good, although the chasing around carried on a bit too long. The whole Thieves set-up is a little cliched and nothing you won't have read before, if you've tried Feist.

Once she reaches the Guild, it becomes a little Harry Potter/Tamora Pierce-esque. By that I mean, she makes enemies and starts learning a little magic.

Once the plot kicks in featuring the High Lord, things definitely pick up.

All in all, my verdict is a fairly decent fantasy novel, with potential to get really good in the next two instalments. Some of it is pretty cliched but this is kinda to be expected when you handle magic as a main topic.

I read this book during the summer and I enjoyed it. The story has a strong plot, despite the various perspectives the story is told from. The dangers to the characters are all real, and that sense of mystery has been built up well.

While the story is a little reminiscent of other stories, it is individual enough to merit at least one read through. Once the character of the High Lord (definately my favourite character, despite his 'evil' side) appears the story definately picks up, moving into new territory (for me at least) and giving a more human story, despite the magic at its core.

I have already read the second book (The Novice) and am waiting for the last volume in the trilogy (The High Lord) to be released in late october (UK).

I recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of Robin Hobb, Sarah Ash, Raymond Feist and possibly David Gemmell and David Eddings.

I'm having a really hard time getting into this book. It just isn't grabbing me at all, and I'm reading it at a snail's pace. I think it's more to do with me being in the wrong mood for it than the book itself. So far I would say well written, but fairly standard. I'd probably be more generous if I was in a better mood with it. :(

this was one of my "lunch books" a while back.
(i'll grab whatever comes to hand and read it over my lunch break over the course of a fwe days...i really HATE the ones that are page burners taht get split by the weekend)
anyway, i too, litany, had a hard time getting into it at first, but once you've become more familiar with that particular universe it becomes easier to submerge yourself in it.
that was something i did notice, its a different enough system to make it interesting, yet it somehow makes it harder to get into.
the characters are fairly well developed, but i don't remember the dialogue being "snappy".
all in all it was a decent read, good enough for me to have just purchased the second in the series this past weekend.

I forced myself through it on Sunday so I could have a new book for this week's train journeys. Still not great, but I'm glad they sorted out what was going on with the High Wizardy Boss chap because now I don't need to read the next one. I was expecting that to be left to the next one, but it seems she doesn't like her cliff hangers and would rather rush an explanation than leave her readers curious. Maybe in a couple months or so I'll be more interested in reading the next one.

There was never really much sense of peril, and I didn't find Sonea to be a particularly engaging character. Fergun was a shallow caricature of what a villain should be and Rothen was entirely too noble for his own good. Overall score for this book is meh.

Back