• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Series aimed at a more mature audience?

SigmaX65

kickbox
Hey, I'm pretty new here (my first time posting) and I was looking for some advice. I'm looking for a fantasy series thats perhaps aimed at a slightly more mature audience, as in not too resistant to foul language or maybe has a more grand plot than the basic "battle versus good and evil". I've read the "Eyes of God" series by John Marco and loved it, the story was intruiging and seemed more for adult leveled readers, and I adore the Belgariad and the Mallorean but I feel that those may be slightly aimed towards a less mature audience (although its still remarkably witty and hilarious). Thanks in advance :D

Try the works of:

George RR Martin
Jacqueline Carey
Jim Butcher
Caitlin R. Kiernan
Terry Goodkind

ETA: Kiernan and Butcher write urban fantasy. Also, Butcher's works aren't as provocative as the others I mentioned, even though there's a fair bit of language and violence.

The only fantasy I have really given a chance has been Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series. I may have to try some Kiernan now that Anamnesis has mentioned her.

The Dresden Files are now up to book number ten and I have read the first nine. It takes place in modern day Chicago. There are witches and warlocks and vampires and werewolves and a whole host of monsters and magic. But your average Joe on the street is oblivious to them. There is language, sex, and a LOT of violence. It is definitely geared toward adults.

What I think makes it "mature" though is the character development that Harry Dresden undergoes throughout the series as the darkness in the world around him continues to encroach upon his life.

But like I said, that is the only fantasy series that I have any experience with.

It's not a series yet -- the second book won't be out until next year -- but The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is getting generally good reviews from fantasy readers. I didn't think I'd like it. The jacket blurb put me off -- it made the hero sound like an arrogant jackass. But I read the first chapter and got hooked.

If you don't mind being lost in a sweeping plot with hundreds of characters, try Steven Erikson's Malazan series. The first book is Gardens of the Moon. It's definitely mature.

I'd like to recommend R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy, but he got so bogged down in angsty navel-gazing crap in the third book, I tossed it. It was okay until then though, if a bit too philosophical and high-toned in spots. The guy takes himself very seriously.

Oh! Forgot one I just finished -- The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. The first book is Before They are Hanged. The story takes awhile to get moving, but when it moves, it really moves. Best series I've read in years.

Have you read the four Book of the New Sun books by Gene Wolfe? They're classics, and excellent.

Try the works of:

George RR Martin
Jacqueline Carey
Jim Butcher
Caitlin R. Kiernan
Terry Goodkind

ETA: Kiernan and Butcher write urban fantasy. Also, Butcher's works aren't as provocative as the others I mentioned, even though there's a fair bit of language and violence.

Kiernan writes fantasy now? Ive only read Silk & some of the stuff she did w/Poppy Z Brite. Is it more horror-fantasy? Can you recommend some titles? I enjoyed Silk enough.

I suggest Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Also the Godless World books by Brian Ruckley. Both are gritty and while there's good and evil, it's not always clear cut. Erikson's books are an odd combination of gritty and epic. Many people die horribly, but certain characters are just so badass that they don't.

Kiernan writes fantasy now? Ive only read Silk & some of the stuff she did w/Poppy Z Brite. Is it more horror-fantasy? Can you recommend some titles? I enjoyed Silk enough.

Urban/dark fantasy, yes. You may want to try A Murder of Angels, which is a sequel to Silk. Her books Threshold, Low Red Moon, and Daughter of Hounds share some of the same characters so if you're interested in starting a series you should give those a try.

Man, I'm not so sure about Butcher. I mean, I love the series, and have been on a Dresden Files binge recently (and about to be resumed, I might add), but there's nothing in there to suggest that it's geared for matured readers.

I've read 3 books, will be going to my fourth soon, so unless the violence changes its quality drastically in the subsequent volumes, I'd still place this under "Immensely fun and not something you'd hide from younger audiences" category.

Definitely George RR Martin, if you haven't yet. And anything by Guy Gavriel Kay (except Ysabel, which is for young adults).

And definitely matured audiences only: Gene Wolfe.

ds

Oldie but one of my favorites.

Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (note: she has returned to this series and is writing new books)

Tamir Trilogy by Lynn Flewelling.

Her original Nightrunner series wasn't as good being her first but she also has returned to that series. I haven't read the newer ones yet but if the improvement in her writing as shown in Tamir is any indication, I look forward to the newer Nightrunner books.

I second Martin's Song of Ice and Fire and Carey's Kushiel series.

Oldie but one of my favorites.

Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop (note: she has returned to this series and is writing new books)

I liked these too. My only complaint is that I never got a sense of time or place -- the stage was bare. It didn't bother me all that much, but it was unsettling.

Oh! Forgot one I just finished -- The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. The first book is Before They are Hanged. The story takes awhile to get moving, but when it moves, it really moves. Best series I've read in years.

Think you meant The Blade Itself (only just finished the first book myself). Great characters and well written fight scenes but it does take ages to move along plotwise - even longer than Harry Potter 5 did.

Have you peeked at Stover's Heroes die yet?

Back