• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

SF book recommendations for me! :)

Wabbit

Hi

I am planning on being bad, pretty soon, and going on a book buying spree. I am really in the mood for some good SF :) Would be great if somebody could give me some recommendations on books/authors to get!

Here are my tastes:

I like Alastair Rynolds ( Revalation Space )
Peter F Hamilton ( Night Dawn Trilogy )
Altered Carbon by that guy I don't remember his name
Adam Roberts ( salt )
Ian M Banks ( everything, but esp. Feesum Endigen )
Niel ( somebody ) Gridlinked

I'm really into space opera but I like ideas SF as well.

Gimmie them ideas, man!

Best Regards
Silly Wabbit

PS This was typed in a damn hurry so forgive any mistakes and typo!

So far I've only read 'Consider Phlebas' by Iain M. Banks, but it was really good and I will be reading some others.

And I just bought 'The Reality Dysfunction' today and I can't wait to read that.

Okay, so Space Opera or good SF:

Cities in Flight - James Blish
The Stars, My Destination - Alfred Bester
The Demolished Man - Alfred Bester
The Forever War - Joe Haldeman
Foundation Series - Isaac Asimov
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
Spares - Michael Marshall Smith
Only Forward - Michael Marshall Smith
and any Philip K. Dick, barring VALIS perhaps

All of the above are brilliant SF novels, and I have loved every one immensly.

Dune - Frank Herbert
1984 - George Orwell
that's about it, between the two of you most of my SF favs were named. I would definately second all of igkuk's reccomendations.

Thank you for the recommendations :)

But... I have read all of those but for "stars my final destination!"

lol Sorry, I read too much

Any more suggestions, please????? :)

Regards
SillyWabbit

Timothy Zahn's Conquerors Trilogy was good, from what i can remember of it after about 8 years!! :)

Altered Carbon was by Richard Morgan ;)

Phil

Check Out FEAR FACTORS

I would strongly recommend to anyone seeking the ultimate Sci-Fi/Fantasy with a spice of horror the short story collection entitled FEAR FACTORS written by Canadian author Peter Andrew Sacco.

I have now re-read the book twice and it is totally mind-blowing. By trade, the author is a psychologist so you can imagine how twisted, tittilating and creative the stories are. I have never read so many stories as diverse as these. They really make you go "huh"! Some of them scared the heck out of me, some made me laugh and some, well, they were quite erotic.

I cannot recommend Fear Factors enough! You won't be able to put it down. I bought my copy through Amazon.com. I believe the author's website is psychedoc.homestead.com

Happy readings!

Talia

Found a little treasure today: well over 100 short stories by Arthur Clake in one volume, 1000 pages of pure goodness.
wub.gif

Great stuff! :)

I have read a ton of his short stories. He is a great writer and very, very, very clever man. I admire him a lot. He said something wonderful I may misquote because this is from my dodgy memory... "When we lose out ability to wonder we are no longer human." Well Said Mr C.

enjoy the stories ! :)

Regards
Sillywabbit

You might of read these books dunno.
-Armor by John Steakley one of my favorites
-Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein always a classic
-Enders Game by Card (probly my favorite author)

Well theres my two cents, these books are pretty popular in sci-fi id be surprised if you havent read them all.

P.S: I started to read the Timothy Zahn series, just didnt work for me. I liked his star wars books though :D

Originally posted by SillyWabbit
But... I have read all of those but for "stars my destination!"

Can I just 2nd the recommendation- that's the best of the bunch IMHO. Probably my fav SF book.

Also try
Gateway by F. Pohl

You absolutely MUST read Hyperion by Dan Simmons. It is brilliant.
It does lead to a few more books but even if you only read Hyperion it is worth it.

Another rarely mentioned novel, and one of my favorites, is Treason by Orson Scott Card. The hero is a radical regenerative...I won't tell you what this is, you have to read it :)
I loved this novel almost as much as Ender's Game.

Also worthwhile is the excellent Titan/Wizard/Demon (I think that's the right order) trilogy by John Varley.

There. That should keep you out of trouble for a while.

I second Hyperion. But buy the sequel at the same time, it cuts off right in the middle of the story.

Also, read a quick bio of John Keats before you get started. Trust me.

I'd like to third the recommendation for the 2 books of the hyperion cantos (You can't really read book 1 on it's own as there's no sense of 'closure' at the end of the 1st book)

Thanks for the replies!

So many recommendations for hyperion? I am very intrigued :) I will check it out!

thanks again :)

Regards
Sillywabbit

Add me to those recommending "Hyperion" and "Fall of Hyperion". Good advice about buying both at the same time. I didn't - and was rather miffed that the first book ended mid-story.

Ell

Another vote for Hyperion/Fall of Hyperion. While the first seems to be rather slow, the second completes the story that has been laid out in the first and contains some more "actioN".

Anyway. Great Space Opera with interesting concepts. I also have Endymion/Rise of Endymion but haven't
read those two yet.

Someone recommended Keats' Biography. Buy his complete works (poetry) also. Makes cross referencing interesting...

Jan

Originally posted by Ashlea
Here is a website with both a bio of Keats (really, read just a short little bio before you get started) and has a discussion of Hyperion.

http://www.john-keats.com/

OK, thanks for the URL! I will bookmark it :)

Again, thanks for all the recommendations everybody. With all these recommendations for Hyperion, how can I NOT buy the damn thing now??? lol

Regards
Sillywabbit

Back