• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Shakespeare's Plays

I like Macbeth too, there's a film being made (has been made, not sure) set in Melbourne that I'm quite interested in seeing. Not sure how close it sticks to the actual play, but an interesting idea, I feel.

I also like A Midsummer Night's Dream for a bit of a laugh. I studied Romeo and Juliet in high school (as did everyone on tha planet I imagine), and hated it. Antony and Cleopatra was okay, but I felt no sympathy for either of them. I have studied Twelfth Night and The Tempest, but can barely remember either of them, if that's any iondication of how much I liked them!
Macbeth has an incredible reach.
James Brennan Hawai

I like Macbeth too, there's a film being made (has been made, not sure) set in Melbourne that I'm quite interested in seeing. Not sure how close it sticks to the actual play, but an interesting idea, I feel.

I also like A Midsummer Night's Dream for a bit of a laugh. I studied Romeo and Juliet in high school (as did everyone on tha planet I imagine), and hated it. Antony and Cleopatra was okay, but I felt no sympathy for either of them. I have studied Twelfth Night and The Tempest, but can barely remember either of them, if that's any iondication of how much I liked them!
Macbeth has an incredible reach.
i LOVED much ado about nothing.

i love most of his work actually.

i also loved macbeth and romeo and juliet. guess i'm in the minority here on that one - try reading it as an adult, though, and maybe you'll enjoy it more. most people i know who hate it only read it when they were 14. being a thespian in times past, i have had the privilege of playing juliet (when i was much younger). i really enjoyed it. i also loved how they imagined it was created in "shakespeare in love." it always brings me to tears!

I agree 100%. Much Ado About Nothing was the only one I've read that I didn't feel I needed to do in-depth research to figure out what he was talking about. And it's much more fun to read something your teachers aren't having to explain to you line by line.

Macbeth.......
Shakespeare apparently may also have contributed to the King James Version of the Bible/Psalm 46.
James Brennan Hawaii

I'd have to agree with Litany, I enjoy watching the plays more than reading them, although I have read quite a few of them. Admitedly this
could be because I always end up reading out loud, using weird accents.

But hearing the words spoken on stage is just something else, no matter how weak the story, the language just puts so much life and meaning into it.

I guess i'd have to go with (predictably) Hamlet as favourite, although Macbeth does come a close second. Any recommendations from his lesser known works?

King Lear is my favorite. It's quite the masterpiece and I'd venture to say it is Shakespeare's magnum opus. A close second is Othello.
But I would agree that Hamlet and Macbeth are some of the best to watch on stage or on screen. I have seen some amazing adaptations.

Another question: What's everyone's favorite film adaptation of a Shakespeare play?

Back