• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sherlock Holmes Canon - Completed!

Yes Dire I am excited too. Would begin Scandal tomorrow. Lets see if short stories got more chutzpah.

I got to know about the free kindle edition only after I had bought the half collection. Did feel bad to spend money on something I could have got for free but I did download it. And after Sign of Four I feel I have got the worth of my money. And my fun is going to last for quite some time.

Speaking of spoilers, Had an earlier idea about Final Problem don't know how I would react when I finally reach there.

I didn't get the free Kindle editions, they are all either not really complete or readers have reported formatting errors. I got the collection from http://sherlock-holm.es/, albeit still free.

Spending money on Holmes is money well spent! :) I have several dead-tree versions of Sherlock Holmes. My prized possession in my library is my huge Original Illustrated Strand of the complete Sherlock Holmes stories by Wordsworth, which has pages as it was printed on the Strand, complete with Sidney Paget art (and some from other artists as well).

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_41W_4A9JM3L._SY346_.jpg

I have my eye on The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes Short Stories and Novels, in a handsome 3 volume set. Click images for links.

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_4181iu2EiKL._SY346_PJlook_inside_v2_TopRight_1_0_SH20_.jpg
aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51WZ6k3_NzL._SY346_PJlook_inside_v2_TopRight_1_0_SH20_.jpg

When I have room for a new bookshelf. I'm all out of space for now. :)

Last edited:
I'm about 75% through the Return of Sherlock Holmes on the free edition of my ereader, but it doesn't show pictures or diagrams. (When a pic is supposed to appear, it only says "GRAPHIC" - not very useful.) I'm going to have to get hold of a library hard copy OR ds could lend me one of his pretty new ones. ;)

Ah, you must be reading The Adventure of The Dancing Men. :)

I'd loan you anything, if you weren't living so far away. I have the next best thing, I just checked my copy of the complete Sherlock Holmes i mentioned above, and the graphics are intact there in my kindle. I will send it along to your email now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Book And Reader mobile app

Dang. Good work man, that's a whole lot of reading. I've read a bit, and enjoyed much of it. Now that you're all out of Holmes you might start jonesing. Check out Christopher Fowler's book, The Victorian Vanishes. Right in the same vein as Doyle.

Dang. Good work man, that's a whole lot of reading. I've read a bit, and enjoyed much of it. Now that you're all out of Holmes you might start jonesing. Check out Christopher Fowler's book, The Victorian Vanishes. Right in the same vein as Doyle.
Ah, I will indeed. Another one on the TBP pile. :)

I have the Holmes wannabes, like Graham Moore's the Sherlockian which I want to get to as well. Plus the 'official' Sherlock Holmes book The House of Silk. And this is not including the short stories John Dickson Carr did with his son Adrian (which for some reason I have on my shelf - can't remember the poor soul who loaned it to me, but it goes without saying it's now mine. :) ).

Scandal in Bohemia was actually hmm.. scandalous. Loved to see an equal to Holmes, I hope Irene Adler would appear in many more stories.

Also, enjoyed Redheaded League. A funny yet intriguing story. But Dire I noticed a slight mistake in narrative. The ad is published on 27-04-1890, Wilson is paid for exactly eight weeks i.e. upto June 1890. But, Wilson says that the Redheaded League is dissolved on 09 October 1890. How is this gap of four months possible. Is it a typing mistake in my book or this incongruity is actually present in the narrative?

It's not a typing mistake and the incongruity does exist. I think it was just a slight mistake on Doyle's part. Ideally the date should be either 22-6-1890 if you take 27-04-1890 into consideration or August if you take October 1890 into consideration both spanning a period of two months.

Last edited:
FYI, Carole Nelson Douglas has written a series with Irene Adler as the main protagonist. The first one is called Good Night, Mr. Holmes: An Irene Adler Novel.

One of my favorite moments in literature.

Dr. Mortimer : "But one false statement was made by Barrymore at the inquest. He said that there were no traces upon the ground round the body. He did not observe any. But I did—some little distance off, but fresh and clear."

Holmes : "Footprints?"

Dr. Mortimer : "Footprints."

Holmes : "A man's or a woman's?"

Dr. Mortimer looked strangely at us for an instant, and his voice sank almost to a whisper as he answered:

Dr. Mortimer : "Mr. Holmes, they were the footprints of a gigantic hound!"

I agree, DATo. Think my favorite is:

'How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?'

Sherlock Holmes Quote

-The Sign of Four

Back