• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

sherlock holmes story The Speckled Band. This posting has spoiler.

chiangmaifalcon

I have been reading Sherlock Holmes lately. I never tire of these stories. One problem in the one I read today, though. in The Speckled Band, a guy calls a snake with a whistle, but snakes cannot hear so this is a mistake. I know my friend from here Velocipede would have definitely noticed that one. Despitethis it was a really good story.

Yes, Doyle did make some factual errors in the stories. Another is in "The Five Orange Pips" where he says the name Ku Klux Klan was derived from sound made by "cocking a rifle" ( It was from a Greek word meaning circle plus clan in the Scottish sense).
But I too am a great Holmes fan. In fact this was the first story of his I ever read, in of all places my 8th grade literature textbook, many years ago. This book also introduced me to Poe, with "The Telltale Heart."
Only hope today's young people get exposed to these classics in the education system, but I am doubtful.

Back