• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Shirley Jackson

-Carlos-

Shirley Jackson (December 14, 1916 – August 8, 1965) was an American author who wrote short stories and novels. Her most famous work is her short story The Lottery, which combines a bucolic, small-town America setting with a horrific shock ending. The tone of most of her works is odd and macabre, with an impending sense of doom, often framed by very ordinary settings and characters.

advdtoile.com_ARTISTES_15_15609.jpg

I would say The Haunting of Hill House was her most famous work.

I agree, but I believe The Lottery is read by more people and taught by more teachers/professors simply because its brilliance and brevity is the reason it is part of many literature texts.

I agree that The Lottery is her most famous work.
We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a lesser known but interesting book, with the usual macabre Jackson settings and a droll sense of humor.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle is a lesser known but interesting book, with the usual macabre Jackson settings and a droll sense of humor.

I enjoyed reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle. The Lottery was my first Jackson read in school.

Perhaps The Lottery is her best known piece in America but given that ...Hill House has been given the movie treatment (twice, I think) it would make it the better known piece internationally, even though some may never have heard of Shirley Jackson.

I've had her collection of short stories for years along with ...Hill House, and We Have Always Lived In The Castle. I've never got round to reading the novels at all. Maybe I should.

Viewers of The Haunting of Hill House may not know that Shirley Jackson wrote the original story.
However, The Lottery seems to be synonymous with Ms. Jackson.

The only story of hers that I have read is The Haunting of Hill House. At least that has been the only one which I am aware of. I own a copy of the book. The opening passage is just fabulous!

Also this is one of those films where I can't decide whether I like the original or the remake better. I keep missing the original every time it aires on Turner Classic Movies lately...

AquaBlue said:
The Lottery was my first Jackson read in school.
As was mine.
When we discussed the story in class some students mentioned the reference to the
sacrifice for the sake of the crops
; the teacher seemed not to know this until we spoke of it. Not sure how he could not have known, as it is the reason for the lottery. :confused:

Occlith said:
Viewers of The Haunting of Hill House may not know that Shirley Jackson wrote the original story.
However, The Lottery seems to be synonymous with Ms. Jackson.
I'd have to agree with Stewart on this one, actually. It may be popular in the States, but The Lottery isn't that well known over here - the only reason I knew about it was because there was a reference to it on The Simpsons :D. Even though they may not know who the author is, The Haunting of Hill House is still her most famous work. The knowledge of who wrote the book doesn't affect how well known a book is, IMO. I doubt that many people could tell you who wrote The Three Little Pigs off the top of their heads, but the story is extremely famous.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Now this is one heck of a novel! I read this one back in seventh grade and loved it then as much as I loved it now. Shirley Jackson takes you for a ride and never lets you go. Her writing talent is unmatched, and in this tale, a haunting and dark tale of murder in a small town, she doesn’t hold back. One of the things I enjoy about her style of writing is how very smooth it read…very enjoyable indeed. The characterization is superb: the characters, Merricat, Constance (sisters) and their uncle Julian, give the story life. I can’t help but give We Have Always Lived in the Castle a high grade.:star5:

I read The Lottery in college and thought it was a wonderful piece work.

I thought The Haunting of Hill House was pretty good, but it's not on the same level as The Lottery.

I might have to pick up a copy of We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Thanks for the recommendation, AquaBlue!

Back