• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Short story contest!

sirmyk

As mentioned in a previously hijacked thread, and requested by some of the members on this forum, I am hereby starting a short story contest. Beginning..... now! The winners will recieve signed copies of Palindrome Hannah. First place gets a hardback; second place gets a trade paperback.

Here are the rules:

1. The short story must be under 1500 words (updated 07/13/05!).
2. The short story must be posted under this thread, for all the world to see.
3. The short story must be of the horror genre, or of a sub- / mixed- genre of horror.
4. Contestants may not post comments regarding his/her or another's entry.
5. The contest will start today and end two weeks from today (all entries must be posted no later than 24:00, July 25th, 2005, no matter which time zone you live in).
6. You may edit your story as many times as you'd like.
7. The first place winner will be decided upon by me.
8. The second place winner will be decided upon by a tally of votes posted on this thread by forum members following this contest.
9. Each winner must PM a mailing address where a copy of PH can be sent.
10. If I think of more rules, I'll add them here.

sirmyk said:
all entries must be posted no later than 24:00, July 25th, 2005, no matter which time zone you live in

You are aware that there are a number of time zones all of which have that time? Which one is the definitive that the time applies to?

Stewart said:
You are aware that there are a number of time zones all of which have that time? Which one is the definitive that the time applies to?
Let's just say the contest ends July 26th, and that all submissions must be entered by July 25th. I'm not that picky.

Well im interested!! let me start thinking of ideas...horror...hummm.
I wrote a horror piece but its 4000...damn, lol...
is there a rating? are there limits?

Lani

Stewart said:
Are stories to be posted to this thread?

Answering for SirMyk, but, in his original post:

"2. The short story must be posted under this thread, for all the world to see."

leckert said:
Answering for SirMyk, but, in his original post:

"2. The short story must be posted under this thread, for all the world to see."
Thanks for the clarification. I hope many post submissions to make this fun. "2" is the number of days separating my birth from Stewart's. Ha, I'm older!

Should I make the word count limit of this contest longer? Like 3000 or 4000 words? I've been PM'd a couple times regarding this issue.

sirmyk said:
Should I make the word count limit of this contest longer? Like 3000 or 4000 words? I've been PM'd a couple times regarding this issue.

Depends on how much you are willing to read!

and, I didn't know you were gay.

This is a good idea, i'll certainly enter a contribution now that I have the bug back. :)

1500 words is maybe a bit short though sirmyk but buts your call.

It is settled then. Since I love to read, I have upped the word limitation a bit higher. See the ammended rules above. ***Edit: Okay, so I changed my mind. The contest sticks at 1500 words***

And lacert, my wife would kill me if she ever found out I was both good and gay.

Yeah, too bad about that "banned from the forum" thing.

Although I still suspect that Not_SirMyk still lives, and the real SirMyk is buried in a shallow grave with a shovel mark on the back of his head!

leckert said:
Although I still suspect that Not_SirMyk still lives, and the real SirMyk is buried in a shallow grave with a shovel mark on the back of his head!
...and a stomach full of peas.

Back