• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

SHORT Survey - Please participate!

Xpanderrr

This is a survey for my statistics class. Please participate, I need as many answers as possible!

Thank you!

---------------------------------------

1) How many books have you bought in the past 2 years?

a. Fiction: ______
b. Non Fiction: ________
2) On average, how many pages do they contain?

a. 0-50
b. 50-100
c. 100-150
d. 150-200
e. 200-250
f. 250-300
g. 300-350
h. 350-400
i. Other: ______

3) How many books that you did not buy have you read? (Past 2 years)

a. Fiction: 56
b. Non Fiction: 4

h. 350-400

Around 50

a. Fiction: 15
b. Non Fiction: 2

h

a. Fiction: 20
b. Non Fiction: 1
2) H

Xpanderrr said:
This is a survey for my statistics class. Please participate, I need as many answers as possible!

Thank you!

---------------------------------------

a. Fiction: ___15___
b. Non Fiction: ___2_____

a. 0-50
b. 50-100
c. 100-150
d. 150-200
e. 200-250
f. 250-300
g. 300-350
h. 350-400
H

_____40___________
15 Fiction
2 Non fiction

350-400

40 books read that I did not buy

Doesn't sound like a statistics class to me. Sounds more like social science - sociology, poli-sci, that sort of thing.
Not doubting you - but - the science of statistics is much more concerned with analyzing, testing, and evaluating data than collecting it. Seems like a waste of time to me, to be collecting this small sample of data, rather than using test data (even made up data) and applying statistical methods on it.
For example, a real statistics course would not pose the question:
On average, how many pages do they contain?
That is relying on the opinion of the people you are surveying to give you a statistical measurement.
Instead you should evaluate the raw data and determine the mean, median, and standard deviation with statistical methods.
Unless I misunderstand the point of what you are doing completly - which is a distinct possibility.

It is more like "Data Management".. and I will be determining the mean, median and standard deviation.. thats part of my project..

My project is size of book vs. sales.. So I will be proving if the size of book matters.. And for the last question its just for the conclusion..

I need to have charts, graphs.. I have 3 sub topics for this.

Fiction vs. Sales (sales by how many you bought)
Non Fiction vs. sales
Fiction vs Fiction

So it is basically enough.. this is not for university this is for grade 12..

Libre said:
Doesn't sound like a statistics class to me. Sounds more like social science - sociology, poli-sci, that sort of thing.
Not doubting you - but - the science of statistics is much more concerned with analyzing, testing, and evaluating data than collecting it. Seems like a waste of time to me, to be collecting this small sample of data, rather than using test data (even made up data) and applying statistical methods on it.
For example, a real statistics course would not pose the question:

That is relying on the opinion of the people you are surveying to give you a statistical measurement.
Instead you should evaluate the raw data and determine the mean, median, and standard deviation with statistical methods.
Unless I misunderstand the point of what you are doing completly - which is a distinct possibility.

a. Fiction: about 101 (I haven't kept track of what books I buy very well.)
b. Non Fiction: 10

g. 300-350 (guessing because I don't want to even try calculating it :p )

If those stats had contained manga there would be a lot more. :p

a. Fiction: 70
b. Non Fiction: 20

I like to buy omnibus versions, so I will say for an average 500 pages.

a. Fiction: 144
b. Non Fiction: 5

h. 350-400

Between 10 and 20

Xpanderrr said:
It is more like "Data Management".. and I will be determining the mean, median and standard deviation.. thats part of my project..

My project is size of book vs. sales.. So I will be proving if the size of book matters.. And for the last question its just for the conclusion..

I need to have charts, graphs.. I have 3 sub topics for this.

Fiction vs. Sales (sales by how many you bought)
Non Fiction vs. sales
Fiction vs Fiction

So it is basically enough.. this is not for university this is for grade 12..
Even though it is for grade 12, I hope your course includes the following, because it is VITALLY important to the science of statistics.
Suppose your data indicates that shorter books tend to sell more copies.
Does this prove anything?
NO
To show that this data is meaningful, you must show that the difference you observed in book sales is statistically significant, and if so, at what confidence level.
The greater the observed difference in sales, the more significant the difference. The more data you collect (i.e. the larger the sample size) the greater your confidence level.
Understand that any time you take measurements, your data is subject to measurement error and random fluctuations - as well as experimenter bias. To be significant, the difference between an experimental group and a control group must be large enough and consistant enough to achieve statistical significance, which would state something like:
"We're 95% confident that the 2 standard deviations difference between the means of the experimental group and the control group is systematic and not a result of random fluctuation."
This could well be beyond the scope of your class, but just be aware of it, please.

Well we never did anything about the experimental group and controlled group. Although we learned about different biases which I would consider. And I understand that I need a large sample size. The teacher told me to get at least 100 surveys done to complete this project. He actually suggested those 3 questions, he told me that it is enough.
What I will be doing is creating different graphs, whisker-plot graph, diffrent aggressions graphs. Finding the mean, stand deviation, mean deviation etc.. comparing it.. mentioning any bias, finding probability.

Right now I dont have the roubric so I can't tell you what I will be finding.. but the teacher helped me out with these 3 questions. And I asked him if it is enough, and he told me yes.

Although I'm still in doubt, 3 question survey is not enough. However, some of my classemates have 2 questions. What kind of questions do you think I should add?

Thanks for the help!

Libre said:
Even though it is for grade 12, I hope your course includes the following, because it is VITALLY important to the science of statistics.
Suppose your data indicates that shorter books tend to sell more copies.
Does this prove anything?
NO
To show that this data is meaningful, you must show that the difference you observed in book sales is statistically significant, and if so, at what confidence level.
The greater the observed difference in sales, the more significant the difference. The more data you collect (i.e. the larger the sample size) the greater your confidence level.
Understand that any time you take measurements, your data is subject to measurement error and random fluctuations - as well as experimenter bias. To be significant, the difference between an experimental group and a control group must be large enough and consistant enough to achieve statistical significance, which would state something like:
"We're 95% confident that the 2 standard deviations difference between the means of the experimental group and the control group is systematic and not a result of random fluctuation."
This could well be beyond the scope of your class, but just be aware of it, please.

Oh I would also like to add that there is an hypothesis that I need to create. My hypothesis may be that shorter books sell more copies. That is what I need to prove. At the end of the project I will see if shorter books ACTUALLY sell more copies. (Of course the sample size is for approx 100 people). That is basically my project. But I will be needing to prove this with different graphs, explaining them.. etc.

Xpanderrr said:
Well we never did anything about the experimental group and controlled group. Although we learned about different biases which I would consider. And I understand that I need a large sample size. The teacher told me to get at least 100 surveys done to complete this project. He actually suggested those 3 questions, he told me that it is enough.
What I will be doing is creating different graphs, whisker-plot graph, diffrent aggressions graphs. Finding the mean, stand deviation, mean deviation etc.. comparing it.. mentioning any bias, finding probability.

Right now I dont have the roubric so I can't tell you what I will be finding.. but the teacher helped me out with these 3 questions. And I asked him if it is enough, and he told me yes.

Although I'm still in doubt, 3 question survey is not enough. However, some of my classemates have 2 questions. What kind of questions do you think I should add?

Thanks for the help!

Xpanderrr said:

a. Fiction: ______
b. Non Fiction: ________

a. Fiction: 120

Xpanderrr said:

a. 0-50
b. 50-100
c. 100-150
d. 150-200
e. 200-250
f. 250-300
g. 300-350
h. 350-400

g. 300-350

Xpanderrr said:

Zero.

I would not add any questions, if you are out to show that shorter books sell more copies than longer books. You may actually be asking too many - in differentiating between fiction and non-fiction. That additional variable actually makes your results harder to evaluate. If your results support that there really are 2 groups - i.e. sales of shorter books and sales of longer books, than you have "proved" your hypothesis. In statistics, the "null" hypothesis is the default. In other words, statistically it is assumed that shorter books and longer books sell about the same, and any difference between the average sales of the two kinds of books is random fluctuation and sampling error. You are out to prove the "alternate" hypotheses, which is, that there really ARE two seperate groups (namely, sales of short books and sales of long books), with two seperate means - and this difference is reliable and valid. By bringing in fiction and non-fiction, you now have four groups:
short fiction; long fiction; short non-fiction; long non-fiction.
This greatly complicates your analysis.
In a well designed study, you would control for certain variables. For example, if you survey different economic classes and find a difference between short book sales and long book sales, it could be that longer books simply cost more, and less affluent readers tend not to buy them. It would be nice to control for that, but realize that the more questions you include in your survey, the more data you need. Keep it as simple as possible. Even by having so many categories of short and long books (i.e. 0-50 pages, 51-100, etc) you are making it more difficult. I would break it into just 2 groups - for example, 0-200 pages; and longer than 200 pages. The narrower your study, the more valid. Don't try to prove everything, just focus on a single variable.
Experimental design and statistical analysis is a HUGE topic.
I'm glad you are looking into this.
I took statistics in my junior year of college (about 1972) and it was the course that most influenced my thinking out of every course I ever took.

Alright I will keep that in mind. Thanks for your help!

Libre said:
I would not add any questions, if you are out to show that shorter books sell more copies than longer books. You may actually be asking too many - in differentiating between fiction and non-fiction. That additional variable actually makes your results harder to evaluate. If your results support that there really are 2 groups - i.e. sales of shorter books and sales of longer books, than you have "proved" your hypothesis. In statistics, the "null" hypothesis is the default. In other words, statistically it is assumed that shorter books and longer books sell about the same, and any difference between the average sales of the two kinds of books is random fluctuation and sampling error. You are out to prove the "alternate" hypotheses, which is, that there really ARE two seperate groups (namely, sales of short books and sales of long books), with two seperate means - and this difference is reliable and valid. By bringing in fiction and non-fiction, you now have four groups:
short fiction; long fiction; short non-fiction; long non-fiction.
This greatly complicates your analysis.
In a well designed study, you would control for certain variables. For example, if you survey different economic classes and find a difference between short book sales and long book sales, it could be that longer books simply cost more, and less affluent readers tend not to buy them. It would be nice to control for that, but realize that the more questions you include in your survey, the more data you need. Keep it as simple as possible. Even by having so many categories of short and long books (i.e. 0-50 pages, 51-100, etc) you are making it more difficult. I would break it into just 2 groups - for example, 0-200 pages; and longer than 200 pages. The narrower your study, the more valid. Don't try to prove everything, just focus on a single variable.
Experimental design and statistical analysis is a HUGE topic.
I'm glad you are looking into this.
I took statistics in my junior year of college (about 1972) and it was the course that most influenced my thinking out of every course I ever took.

a. Fiction: 81

i. Other: 300-800

none. I buy all my books :D

a. Fiction: ___350___
b. Non Fiction: ___80_____

a. 0-50
b. 50-100
c. 100-150
d. 150-200
e. 200-250
f. 250-300
g. 300-350
h. 350-400
G. 300-350

Back