• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Simon Winchester: The Meaning of Everything: The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary

What a good find! I read The professor and the madman. Winchester does an exceptional job of telling a great story, while stringing in facts and neat to know minutiae that otherwise, would put you to sleep.

Nearly everything Winchester writes is a joy and this one is no exception. I think I did prefer The Professor and the Madman because that story took place over a shorter period of time.

The Meaning of Everything, was very good and I had stumbled over my copy at a library sale :) Before reading it I guess I had never thought of what went into the making of a dictionary, very interesting stuff and as SFG said Winchester manages to keep it from being dry.

Also, you may like Henry Petroski's, the Book on the Bookshelf, Evolution of Useful Things, or, the Pencil :) He is a bit less amusing than Winchester but interesting info still.

Last edited:
Welllll this is still on my TBR list - its terrible how long that has gotten since joining this forum - really y'all must stop talking about books! :rofl

Back