• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sky burials!

Disenthral

I just found a book called Sky Burial: An Epic Love Story of Tibet. Thinking it may have something to do with it i read the back and realized it was more about Tibet tradition and love, but seemed good so i got it anyways.

But I have always been fascinated by Sky Burials, it is one of the craziest things ever. and yet oddly peaceful in a way?

Sky burial or ritual dissection was once a common funerary practice in Tibet wherein a human corpse is cut in specific locations and placed on a mountaintop, exposing it to the elements or the mahabhuta and animals – especially to birds of prey.
Sky burial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Theres links on there of pictures from a burial..I didn't know if it would be ok to post that here :cool: ..... considering it has graphic pictures of bodies being cut up and eaten by birds.

Nice.
Just put me in an old refrigerator box or something. Anything but vultures!!!

I have heard of this funerary practice but I did not know it was so ritualized. I thought they just left the body exposed on a mountain or tall tower. I did not know about the disassembling or that they ground up the bones to feed hawks and crows. Fascinating 0_0

Back