• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Small town setting for English novel.

daveyboy

Hi, was wondering if anyone knows of a good book set around a small british town/village. Basically one about small town values, everyday life and the interesting characters that fill them?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also...be good to read any suggestions you guys might have on books that are heavily influenced by poetry, so: flowing ambigious pros etc.

Thanks a heap.
Davex

I can't say it because I don't know such but I know something that close to it. In the film U Turn directed by Oliver Stone, the situation all goes on Superior town of Arizona State.

A Month In The Country, J.L. Carr

What might really - and I mean really - interest you is Akenfield by Ronald Blythe. It's a portrait of a rural village taking each industry in turn, introducing you to the people who live there, and more.

Rebecca Shaw's Village novels such as A Village Feud, Whispers in the Village, A Village Dilemma, Talk of the Village, The New Rector, Intrigue in the Village etc.

Try Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children for flowing ambiguous prose.

Great Expectations

I think that Great Expectations by Charles Dickens could be nice for "small town setting". I LOVE this book. Below I quoted Wikipedia for the places referred to at the book:

Real places referred to

* The marshes, wetlands on the banks of the River Thames estuary in Kent near to Pip's boyhood home and town.
* The Hulks, Prison ships anchored off the marshes holding prisoners who are to be transported to Australia as punishment.
* Little Britain, old London neighbourhood of narrow streets and location of Mr. Jaggers's offices.
* Barnard's Inn: one of the minor Inns of Court, referred to in the text as "the dingiest collection of shabby buildings ever squeezed together in a rank corner as a club for tom cats", attached to Gray's Inn where Dickens had worked as a clerk.
* Newgate Prison, ancient prison near Mr. Jaggers's office, where criminals are imprisoned and executed
* The Temple, location of houses where Pip and Herbert live after they leave Barnard's Inn, and where Pip meets his benefactor. According to the text, "Our chambers were in Garden-court, down by the river." Garden Court still exists, nearby Temple tube station.

Hello;

I loved "Mr Golightly Takes A Holiday" Sally Vickers-lots of characters at the pub "the Stag" in Dartmoor. You learn a great del of the inner workings of the locals through what they say and do.

Well, here's a classic novel for you.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy. Set in rural England...all about Tess' life and her conflict with the traditional societal values.

Back