• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

So what is it about Harry Potter that you like?

Robert

I see a lot of comments from folks that don't like Harry Potter, threads about sites dedicated to hating Harry Potter, threads that compare the books to the movies, and even a thread to rate Harry Potter books against each other.

I know I enjoy the books because they’re a fun read. They provide me with a nice change of pace, and quite honestly, I want to know if the boy dies or if he manages to kill Voldemort.

I would like to know what you like about Harry Potter?

Well I like HP for its "originality". Well, okay, maybe its not completely original, since JK Rowling did get a lot of her ideas from the Lord of the Rings and such, yet it's a very nice and compelling series of books that take place not so long ago and has a rich context to it, that I like to get/experience when I read books. It's all good! :cool:

I like that Rowling pays a lot of attention to building the world, down to the very last detail. For instance, I loved the flying interoffice memos in the Ministry of Magic and all the different floors in St. Mungo's.

soxfan said:
I like that Rowling pays a lot of attention to building the world, down to the very last detail. For instance, I loved the flying interoffice memos in the Ministry of Magic and all the different floors in St. Mungo's.

I work in an office, and I have to admit that I have wondered what it might be like to have interoffice mail flying around the building.

By the way, soxfan, your boys going all the way this year?

Robert said:
By the way, soxfan, your boys going all the way this year?
I'll take this one: Hell Yeah!

I wouldn't say Rowling has taken anything from LOTR as much as she's revived a format, the training camp/prep school background, with elements from Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew adolescent books with a great shot of sorcery and a very fine understanding of the adolescent psyche. With tongue in cheek, her magic details hold together very well and so the world she's built is believable. Harry is the great outsider seeking acceptance and trying to fit in. The gang that has congregated around him are all misfits of one sort or the other, and so most readers can empathize with them.

I like HP because they are very easy, fun reads. I love Rowling's imagination - someof the spells, charms etc that she comes up with are genius :)

And let's face it - who didn't wish that they could cast spells when they were little? Hogwarts students are the envy of every child in the world :D

~MonkeyCatcher~

I like HP because of the protagonists, especially Hermione Granger. Miss Granger can be considered one of the most intelligent persons in Rowling's magical world. Her dedication to learing inspires and teaches me that effort is one of the most important elements to open the door to success.

The fast-turning pace of HP is another reason. Once I open the book and begin reading, I can hardly put it down (the same thing applies for most fantasy books I have read). In short, Rowling writes very well.

Infinity said:
I like HP because of the protagonists, especially Hermione Granger. Miss Granger can be considered one of the most intelligent persons in Rowling's magical world. Her dedication to learing inspires and teaches me that effort is one of the most important elements to open the door to success.

The fast-turning pace of HP is another reason. Once I open the book and begin reading, I can hardly put it down (the same thing applies for most fantasy books I have read). In short, Rowling writes very well.

Hermione is an interesting character, and JKs default way of informing her readers of important facts.

Robert said:
Hermione is an interesting character, and JKs default way of informing her readers of important facts.

I never knew how much girl talk Hermione actually did with Ginny until this book. It always appears that Hermione invests most of her friendship with Ron and Harry but, she has more layers than what meets the eye.

h_carnahan said:
I never knew how much girl talk Hermione actually did with Ginny until this book. It always appears that Hermione invests most of her friendship with Ron and Harry but, she has more layers than what meets the eye.
Good point. The only other person it seems she had "private" talks with was Viktor Krum, hardly a powderroom companion ... She clearly eschews the behavior and tics of the likes of Lavender Brown and such, but it is good to know she has female confidantes.

Fun world with vivid descriptions. Fun characters that I care about. Interesting plot. Written well. Yes. Written well.

I like Harry Potter because of the way that J.K Rowling writes and the characters, and the plot lines...i pretty much like every single thing about harry potter...some call me obsessed

Just The Girl32 said:
I like Harry Potter because of the way that J.K Rowling writes and the characters, and the plot lines...i pretty much like every single thing about harry potter...some call me obsessed

Welcome to the board, obsessed. :D

Robert said:
I would like to know what you like about Harry Potter?
Thats an intresting question to ask and for people to think about. It really makes me think! :confused:
I don't think I'm into these whole fantasy kind of books, I'm not sure. Before Harry Potter I would always be reading point horror, I still do read point horror. I have no clue as to why I really like Harry Potter but something captures me into these books! I think one of the reasons that capture me to the Harry Potter books is the way it is written as it is detailed and easy to follow in the book. I guess thats probably part of my reading level though as I find it difficult to get into a book in which I find difficult to accomplish reading it even by trying.

I love the Harry Potter books mostly because they bring me magically back to my childhood days of yore. I love J.K. Rowling's long dallying into the everyday school happenings, since these excursions allow me to reminisce over the golden days of my youth. I love, simply LOVE, to read of the marvelous feasts at the beginning of each year and at the holidays!! I think that's what I would enjoy most about being at Hogwarts...the magical FOOD!!! (After all, I am part Hobbit, you know!)

Oberon said:
I'll take this one: Hell Yeah!
I was right about the Sox! The Chicago White Sox, the World Series Champion White Sox!

Uhhhh, back to the topic at hand .... :D

I suppose I love the Harry Potter books in general, as I'm drawn to fantasy type books (and consequently movies)--I love children's/young adult books ---I've had a lot of heavy duty obligations and responsibilities that I have and still and having to deal with, so I guess, I view reading such books as a great means of escape--I also happen to love books on a more "magical" genre---I sometimes wish that there really was a Hogwarts---on the other flip of the coin, I'm a die-hard Lord of the Rings fan--and wouldn't mind living in a Hobbit Hole!!:)

I completely love Harry Potter. No idea how I got there. Each book is better than the one before it, thank goodness each is longer as well so I can spend a few extra minutes with the characters and situations. The characters are so well drawn, layered, and alive, we see them grow AND we see their parts in the web of the story. I'm not a big fantasy fan, but I'm so sucked into this that I hardly see it as fantasy while I'm there! Down with the death-eaters!! May Draco Malfoy see the error of his ways...

Back