• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

So, what's been happening?

direstraits said:
Gasp! Mehastings... your baby is beautiful. Heartiest congratulations. :) I think I have a good idea how pretty the mother is now. :)

Guys, thanks for dropping a post. I really missed this place, that's for sure. Trouble now is clocking in a reasonable amount of time to catch up on stuff here in TBF. Today is another 11-hour day, but I'm enjoying myself at present, so all's good.

Wanna point me to the best recent threads? (yeah, I'm bloody lazy).

ds
Hi DS,
"Best" is of course very much a matter of opinion, but there are a lot of active threads. I would say there are as many as ever, and the Maus thread you are already in looks like a great thread. There are a number of Dostoevsky threads. They have excellent in-depth discussions of the author's works and philosophy. The Nabokov threads have quite a few posts, even if only a few members. (Says something about how talkative we are, I suppose :rolleyes: ). These are all rather specialized and I hope this post prompts someone else to disagree and point out other threads according to a different definition of "best."
Peder

PS In a totally different category, and I suppose I can't really ignore it at all, there are the Dan Brown/DaVinci Code threads. If you just listen, that's where all the shouting is coming from.
P.

PS DS,
I should also have mentioned a thread on Orientalism. If you were interested, your perspective from the other side of the world (at least from where I am) would no doubt contribute to interesting and worthwhile discussion. After a recent skirmish, that thread will likely settle into a stable discussion of Edward Said's book of the same name.
Peder

Peder... thanks for pointing these threads out... these were exactly what I wanted to know.

The Dan Brown threads I'll stay away for now, because I think I've heard everything there is to hear about him (even when I know I haven't). This has been going on long before you joined, Peder, and you'll be much interested to know Stewart made his best arguments on Dan Brown before you joined. This post made me see why he dislikes DB, but personally I still stand by the fact that Dan Brown's book was a great read for me. :)

I'm so worried about spoilers in the Nabokov threads. I'm really dying to take a peek, but I don't want my perceptions to be shaped by what others may have felt when they read Nabokov. I'll start with Lolita, which looks like a sexy little thing that I can read within the year (I'm a slow reader), so I'll hopefully drop by the Lolita thread sometime before Christmas. ;)

Orientalism huh? I'll take a look, but I have to warn you I'm a terribly shallow person, so maybe the best I can do is to suggest proper pronounciations (which I think I may not even be able to do well!).

:)

ds

direstraits said:
Orientalism huh? I'll take a look, but I have to warn you I'm a terribly shallow person, so maybe the best I can do is to suggest proper pronounciations (which I think I may not even be able to do well!).

:)

ds
ROTFALOL DS, No person who finds their to this forum and registers is a shallow person! Go wash your mouth out for saying such a thing about yourself! :)
Lolita will be ready when you are, and glad to hear your reactions.
If you were also to look at the book Orientalism, however, I suspect you would have a stronger reaction than merely correcting pronunciations. Edward Said is pretty emphatic, and it is hard to ignore his topics -- imperialism and racism. But of course it may not be what you are looking for.
I'll see you around,
Glad you are here,
Peder

direstraits= I'm so worried about spoilers in the Nabokov threads. I'm really dying to take a peek, but I don't want my perceptions to be shaped by what others may have felt when they read Nabokov. I'll start with Lolita, which looks like a sexy little thing that I can read within the year (I'm a slow reader), so I'll hopefully drop by the Lolita thread sometime before Christmas. ;)

ds, I have found Nabokov to be so multifaceted and layered that a few spoilers only count as helpful 'heads-ups' to me. In fact, the spoilers have actually helped me to better enjoy VN's works.

Okay, think of it like this -- you're swimming across Lake Geneva with a bunch of other brave souls, and this is great good fun, right? The lake is as smooth as silk, the scenery is amazing, and you're pretty sure you're going to make it to the end (your lungs are holding out and your toes aren't turning blue yet), but a bouyant finger-post or two along the way are certainly always welcome sights (even if you choose to ignore them), and this is not to even mention the friendly triathlete in the rowboat who is holding a sign that reads "This Way To The Shore".

Of course, the person holding the sign may be sipping coffee, eating cookies and joking around with a comrade (and the arrow may be temporarily pointing straight up at the sky), but hey, the company is congenial, the mood is invariably good, and conversation is always top-flight. I can also promise that you won't have more fun anywhere.

So, I say: "Come right on in -- the water's fine!" :D

bananawater.jpg

dsinwater.jpg

StillILearn said:
So, I say: "Come right on in -- the water's fine!" :D
SIL
I definitely echo that!
But as for the rest of your post, I didn't know we were that organized. :rolleyes:
And I guess we ought to also confess that, for anything DS might say, we all have at least three to four different opinions on the same point, and have changed them all several times, so getting agreement should be pretty easy.
Kid you not, DS, :)
Peder

Peder said:
SIL
I definitely echo that!
But as for the rest of your post, I didn't know we were that organized. :rolleyes:
And I guess we ought to also confess that for anything DS might say we all have at least three to four conflicting opinions on the same point, and have changed them several times, so getting agreement should be pretty easy.
Kid you not, DS, :)
Peder

Organized..........what is o-r-g-a-n-i-z-e-d-? /said the robotic voice in as cheerful a voice as it could manage/

Conflicting Opinions? Surely you jest? no, and don't call me Shirley!

Really DS, we are the most flexible bunch around here. :rolleyes: :cool: :D

What we'll do is, we'll lure him in, and then we'll make him buy about a billion books. Right, gang? Right? :D

Okay. Enough playing around with that Banana Kid, I gotta go read some more Glory.

StillILearn said:
What we'll do is, we'll lure him in, and then we'll make him buy about a billion books. Right, gang? Right? :D

Okay. Enough playing around with that Banana Kid, I gotta go read some more Glory.
Great idea SIL!

Heres your hat, whats your hurry.....:D :cool:

Still... what nice pictures you've posted! :)

Thanks, guys, all your enthusiasm really pushed Lolita to the top of my pile... I'll get to it once I finish (just a little more) Celtika.

And it's a little too late to make me buy a billion books... I've already got em! But then, there's always room for another billion...

ds

ps. I'd wash, but I'm out of Listerine. :)

Wow... those pics of you, dire... I'm blushing. I've been gone way too long. You're stripping for the forum now? Wow... you've got such good appeal.

Back