• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

So, what's been happening?

direstraits

Hey everybody...

Been away for a while, and missed you all. Goodness, it's good to be back smelling the neighbourhood again...

What's the latest happenings around here for the past month or so? Anything mildly inflamatory? Anybody got toasted for mizspellings? :D

I wasn't able to do as much reading as I wanted to as I was completely consumed by stuff I had to do (which included a change of jobs), but I did buy lots of stuff, of which I blame this forum, of course:

Freakonomics, Steven Levy (Ah, I managed to finish this. Couldn't stop, frankly)
A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess
Lolita, Nabokov (I've always wanted to peek into the Nabokov thread, so I might as well be prepped)
The Midnight Cuckoos, John Wyndham
Fatherland, Robert Harris
Never Let Me Go, Kazuo Ishiguro
State Of Fear, Michael Crichton
One More For The Road, Ray Bradbury
Red Mars, Kim Stanley Robinson
Collapse, Jared Diamond
Blankets, Craig Thompson
A Letter of Mary, Laurie R King

What have you guys been up to?

ds

Stewart said:
Nothin' much. They've all been suspiciously too well behaved.

Yeah, we've been waiting for you to come back so we can have some real fun! Welcome back:D

Stewart: I notice you said "they've" and not "we've"...what's up with that? ;)

DS
The Nabokovians have been having a high ol' time!
So come as you are. No preparations needed.
Glad to see you back, :)
Peder

abecedarian said:
Stewart: I notice you said "they've" and not "we've"...what's up with that? ;)

Because I'm always well behaved without having to do it suspiciously.

direstraits said:
Freakonomics, Steven Levy (Ah, I managed to finish this. Couldn't stop, frankly)
Lolita, Nabokov (I've always wanted to peek into the Nabokov thread, so I might as well be prepped)
One More For The Road, Ray Bradbury
Red Mars, Kim Stanley Robinson
Collapse, Jared Diamond
A Letter of Mary, Laurie R King

ds
Great choices....:)
Have you read the first of the Russell/Holmes series?

Nabokovia awaits your participation. :D

Peder... well, should have peeked in the Nabokov threads before... I started learning Russian until I found out that Nabokov wrote in English. So I promptly forgot all my Russian. Damn.

ABC, Stewart's modesty is famed far and wide. The echo of his damning arguments ring through my ears (and flash before my eyes) everytime I see a movie poster of The Da Vinci Code here. Btw, Stewart, did you enjoy Teresa Teng?

I realized I did finish Blankets and Maus by Spiegelman. Awfully written summary cum reviews is coming to the relevant threads near you.

:)

ds

pontalba said:
Have you read the first of the Russell/Holmes series?

:eek: Not really. I know I should start from the beginning, but this book was a cheap second hand book, and in good condition too, so I got it. Probably won't start reading it soon, as I've got plenty in the queue, so I should have enough time to get the first one when Russell met Holmes. There was a thread here somewhere on Holmes that talked about Russell, and that's in the mystery fiction subforum... go check it out if you haven't yet.

ds

You ever see West Side Story? Remember the jets and the sharks? That's the scene here now-only it's the Nabokovians and the Dan Browns.:D Other than the occassional D.B. flare-up, nothing new.;)

SFG75 said:
You ever see West Side Story? Remember the jets and the sharks? That's the scene here now-only it's the Nabokovians and the Dan Browns.:D Other than the occassional D.B. flare-up, nothing new.;)

Oh, and a new baby for a certain much-loved moderator! Ask mehastings for more details;)

direstraits said:
:eek: Not really. I know I should start from the beginning, but this book was a cheap second hand book, and in good condition too, so I got it. Probably won't start reading it soon, as I've got plenty in the queue, so I should have enough time to get the first one when Russell met Holmes. There was a thread here somewhere on Holmes that talked about Russell, and that's in the mystery fiction subforum... go check it out if you haven't yet.

ds
Cheap is always better! And thanks for the tip on the thread. :)

direstraits said:
Mehastings! Who has a new baby? Where are the cute baby pix???
All right, just for you DS...

charlotte3.jpg

I wasn't able to do as much reading as I wanted to as I was completely consumed by stuff I had to do (which included a change of jobs), but I did buy lots of stuff, of which I blame this forum, of course:

ds! Good to see you! It's not the same around here without you. Whew! With all those new books and a new job, when will you have time to read here, never mind post? All you need now is a new baby!

Mehastings, you're baby is beautiful!

DS - welcome back! We've missed you.
And umm... nothing new... I finished reading Alan Moore's From Hell.
And also, I made an offer for all you Lolita fans. If you haven't read the Playboy Dec. 2005 article over the 50 year anniversary of Lolita and would like to, PM me.

;) -LibrA

Good to see you back DS, bananadackery :D

And congratulations mehastings on the arrival of your beautiful baby. :)

Gasp! Mehastings... your baby is beautiful. Heartiest congratulations. :) I think I have a good idea how pretty the mother is now. :)

Guys, thanks for dropping a post. I really missed this place, that's for sure. Trouble now is clocking in a reasonable amount of time to catch up on stuff here in TBF. Today is another 11-hour day, but I'm enjoying myself at present, so all's good.

Wanna point me to the best recent threads? (yeah, I'm bloody lazy).

ds

Back