• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

So you think you can type?

my typing test gave me a reading of 86, with an adjusted of 81. I'm probably faster with numbers, because I type phone numbers like 60 times a day at work.

Level 5, 40 points

I learnt to type with one of those typing tutor programmes, but as I only used the free part of the programmes, I never learnt the top row , so I touch type until I get to a number or symbol and then look frantically for the right key.

Miss Shelf said:
ooh, I cross my hands all the time! :eek: I "know" where the keys are, sometimes I will look at the screen and type and get most of the words right-IF my fingers are on the home keys.
Miss Shelf,
Oh, am I glad to hear that -- especially the part about crossing hands! :D
All in all, your description sounds like the situation here. During that typing test, I was typing as fast as I could, and then correcting like furious, until it finally got ahead of me.
I just tried a sentence without looking at the keyboard. Couldn't do it.

If I tried it it would be very lsow lije tgus sebtebde tgt U hyst ttoed tgat way, :eek::D

[If I tried it it would be very slow, like this sentence that I just tried that way]

But we'll learn,
Peder

oh, why bother at this late date? I don't think it matters how fast you type, all that matters that in the end it's error-free and spelled correctly! (tried to insert smilie here and it won't work.)

Miss Shelf said:
I don't think it matters how fast you type, all that matters that in the end it's error-free and spelled correctly! (tried to insert smilie here and it won't work.)

I wish everybody thought the same as you.

Miss Shelf said:
Slow and steady wins the race! :D
Very true when I was working I may not of been the fastest typer there but I didn't have as many mistakes so my overall performance record was better than the others' :)

Funny you are talking about typing!
I did a typing test recently in a job interview. The interviewer was pretty impressed. 240 words pr. m. and NO mistakes! :D
She said that 200 wpm is considered to be secretary level.
Flower

Flowerdk4 said:
Funny you are talking about typing!
I did a typing test recently in a job interview. The interviewer was pretty impressed. 240 words pr. m. and NO mistakes! :D
She said that 200 wpm is considered to be secretary level.
Flower
If the average word you type is four characters (somewhat low), and you type 240 words per minute, this calculates out to 16 characters per second, which seems impossible. If the average word you type is five characters (with the same 240wpm number), this calculates out to 20 characters per second. Just some math...

Edit: Another fun fact: speaking at 240 words per minute would calculate out to speaking 4 words per second... which would translate to chipmunk language.

sirmyk said:
If the average word you type is four characters (somewhat low), and you type 240 words per minute, this calculates out to 16 characters per second, which seems impossible. If the average word you type is five characters (with the same 240wpm number), this calculates out to 20 characters per second. Just some math...

Edit: Another fun fact: speaking at 240 words per minute would calculate out to speaking 4 words per second... which would translate to chipmunk language.

4 words pr. second! 4 x 60 sekunds=1 minutte. Of course sometimes it was more than 4 and other times less depending on how long the word was.
When I think about it, it does seem fast but not un-do-able. I was really working fast and could not hold this speed up for a long period. It was a test of 5 mins. So they added all the words I had written and divided it with 5.

You try and sit and type 4 words in a second, it IS do-able! ;)

(when I type this fast I dont think of the words that I am writing, I simply just react to the word that I am reading. If I had to think about the word, it would of course take longer. )

Flowerdk4 said:
It was a test of 5 mins. So they added all the words I had written and divided it with 5.
So you wrote 1200 words? Almost 5 manuscript pages. That's outstanding.

sirmyk said:
So you wrote 1200 words? Almost 5 manuscript pages. That's outstanding.

Sirmyk,
Look at one page, there is approx. 20 words pr. line, so it will never be 5 pages. It will be 60 lines. (1200/20).
I know that I am fast but I dont think its outstanding. You give it a try, check out just how long one second is. It longer than you just saying "one".
Many proffesional type writers are much faster than I am, and I dont think I would be able to keep up the speed for a longer period. It was a test and I was really working hard, doing my very best. Like when you run a race.
Flower

Back