• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

So you think you can type?

I can type pretty fast. Normally can type as fast as I can speak. It's weird but I can only type really fast if I am creating something fresh. If I am trying to copy or somebody is dictating then I slow right down.

Here is a typing game How fast can you type?

I got to level 4 and a score of 36

Nice game. :)

I got to level 6, score 51

btw... what does "wpm" mean? Words per minute? In school, I typed 180 Letters per minute. I had the last typing test 10 years ago, so I've no idea how fast I'm now.

Mafalda said:
Nice game. :)

I got to level 6, score 51

btw... what does "wpm" mean? Words per minute? In school, I typed 180 Letters per minute. I had the last typing test 10 years ago, so I've no idea how fast I'm now.

Let me guess-you're under 21 and still have quick reflexes! ;)

Panting! Tongue hanging out!
All stressed out!
Heart still beating fast!

Level 11, score 105

Once is enough!
And never again!

Peder said:
Panting! Tongue hanging out!
All stressed out!
Heart still beating fast!

Level 11, score 105

Once is enough!
And never again!

how much coffee did you have before the test? :p

Miss Shelf said:
how much coffee did you have before the test? :p

About 20 year's worth, and never far from a computer keyboard. :D

Plus a head start in JHS many years ago where we all took a manadatory semester in typing -- on mechanical machines without letters on the keys. /groan/ But that got the keyboard into the fingers, apparently a lot better than I would have imagined.
So, coffee indeed (about 3 cups a day) plus practice, practice, practice on the job.
Peder

Peder, I learned in high school on a manual too, but the keys weren't covered. I never got higher than a C because I'm such a perfectionist I kept looking at the keyboard instead of what I was supposed to be copying. I still can't keep from looking at the keyboard while I type-not that it keeps me from making mistakes, I just can't remember where the keys are. :rolleyes:

Miss Shelf said:
I still can't keep from looking at the keyboard while I type-not that it keeps me from making mistakes, I just can't remember where the keys are. :rolleyes:
We were taught touch-typing in Grade 7, and I just didn't get it. I struggled, and then my friend told me just to put my fingers on the home keys and look at the rest of the keys. Well! While it solved my immediate problem of passing the course, it was to my detriment in the end because I spent the next 5 years having to look at the keys! Then, sometime during Grade 12 I realised that I was typing without looking at the keys. Looking was just a safety blanket. From then on I improved out of sight at my typing. You might be surprised how well you do know where the keys are, MS! Close your eyes and give it a shot :)

Well, Miss S. :)
That sounds quite a bit like me during the course of my progress toward becoming the world champion speed typist j/k/j/k :D

But seriously, I bet you know where the basic keys are: A,S,D,F, (G,H) and J,K,L,; without looking. When I picked up typing after many years away from school, that is where I started and I then added the surrounding keys more or less one by one, and forced myself only to peek when I really had to. Eventually, with repetition, I re-learned the whole letter key board. I still don't do perfect touch typing, with my hands in a fixed position, but knowing where the keys are I tend to press them with any convenient finger and mainly use two fingers from each hand, and sometimes even crossed hands /shock, gasp!/. However, for that typing test it did help the speed to use correct finger placement, nerve-wracking though that really was.
And that is the secret of my success, as they say :rolleyes:
I would really encourage you to be more optimistic about what you can achieve.
And now the assignment for next week is ..... :D
Peder

PS I once tried a typing-tutor program on my computer and that was useless, typing arbitrary groups of five letters. Way too many errors, and way too demoralizing. Much better to learn using real words with ordinary text IMO.

PPS It looks like two of us are saying about the same thing.

ooh, I cross my hands all the time! :eek: I "know" where the keys are, sometimes I will look at the screen and type and get most of the words right-IF my fingers are on the home keys. I haven't really thought about it, but now I see that I tend to use my right index and middle fingers only and all five fingers on my left hand. Not sure why I do this but I have a heck of a time with the other two right fingers-I keep hitting the ; key instead of the L when I use all four fingers on my right hand.

Interestingly, if I try to type with one finger-like if one hand is full of something, it takes me a long time to find the keys I want.

I think part of my problem is I think faster than I type, and my typing is trying to catch up. :rolleyes:

This ought to be a psychological study!

I don't know how to touch-type "properly" ie I don't use home keys etc, but I am able to look at the screen instead of the key-board when I'm typing; I only look at the keyboard as a matter of habit now.

Back