• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

So, you want to write a book...

HansoFoundation

Yes, in fact, I do! I am, however, experiencing minor mental difficulties in this process. I have plenty of good ideas that can create three-dimensional character, realistic environments and situations, and themes, but I can't get it down on paper without somehow changing the original idea before the end of whatever I am writing. This occurs not only in longer works, but short essays and the like as well. Could this problem be attributed to a disorder such as ADD, because I don't think its normal to constantly change structural themes and characters halfway through written works? Is this just normal and I am paranoid?

HELP

-Joey

Nothing wrong with changing it as you go. That's just your subconscious coming up with better ways to tell the story.

The way I see it, the story isn't the story until it's down on paper. What exists in your head is like raw flour in the cupboard, but the written word is bread.

If you really want to write a book, you're going to have to go through the revision stage anyway. It can take time to get the feel of what you're trying to do, so if the second half is better, go back and revise the first half. Happens all the time.

HansoFoundation said:
I have plenty of good ideas that can create three-dimensional character, realistic environments and situations, and themes, but I can't get it down on paper without somehow changing the original idea before the end of whatever I am writing.

Sounds like you have all the skills required to win a major literary award.

Doug Johnson said:
Sounds like you have all the skills required to win a major literary award.
Haha, thanks. That came off strangely; I just wanted to tell you that I have the technique down so there wasn't a flood of how to do all those things. Also, to others up above, thanks for the ideas. I guess I just get too paranoid and critical of myself and my writing, but nonetheless, you all helped me clarify a bit. Perhaps you'll see my name on the bestseller list someday!

-Joey

I also change things constantly as I go along. It's normal; I'm not the only one who does it either. It's not a bad thing at all. Now, I actually have ADD (and OCD, unfortunately), so I can't reassure you that you don't. ^^

Disorders necessary in order to become a writer:

ADD - the real world isn't enough to hold your attention, you need to invent something that can.

Paranoid delusions - because you are inventing non-real situations, and you are talking to thousands of imaginary people whom you don't know.

Schizophrenia (mild) - to create dozens or hundreds of distinct characters

OCD - because only an obsessive could possibly have the patience to write and re-write all those words, and only a compulsive could possibly want to.

The list goes on. :)

Okay so I typed in 'personality disorder test' in google and took the first one and I came back as highly schizotypal, which is a less serious form of schizophrenia, OCD, and ADD. I also got histrionic, but that's not important ;)

-Joey

GreenKnight said:
Disorders necessary in order to become a writer:

ADD - the real world isn't enough to hold your attention, you need to invent something that can.

Paranoid delusions - because you are inventing non-real situations, and you are talking to thousands of imaginary people whom you don't know.

Schizophrenia (mild) - to create dozens or hundreds of distinct characters

OCD - because only an obsessive could possibly have the patience to write and re-write all those words, and only a compulsive could possibly want to.

The list goes on. :)
Well, I have 3 out of 4, so I guess I'm good! (Only officially diagnosed with ADD and OCD, though.)

I took that test, just because I was curious. I'm not too sure it was all that accurate. According to it, I should be admitted into the nearest mental institute ASAP. I was at a very high risk of having schizoid, schzotypal, paranoid, antisocial, borderline, narcissistic, obsessive-compulsive, and avoidant. I have high risks of histrionic. I have a low risk of being dependent.

According to this, I should be crazy. I really think it isn't accurate, but I do know I have some of these: OCD, borderline, paranoid...

...I actually tested very high for borderline...*blush*...but only high for OCD. Seriously, though, I think the "borderline" symptoms mostly result from the weird little phobias I have from my OCD. So, I'm cool...right? ^^

Back