• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"Somewhere, a dog barked."

No, that's not something I've noticed.

But, I've seen a fair number of glistening pavements with leaves stuck to them after it has been raining.

I really enjoyed the article,it states many things we notice while reading that we never have the time or effort to mention :)

Actually, it has inspired me to pay more attention and see how many times during the course of a day I can hear a dog barking in the distance.

"So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?" I remembered this...somehow relevant..

I think I may have perpetrated an example of this in my own writing, but in reverse. One of my characters surveys an empty field in winter. "No breeze whispered over the snow. No dogs barked in the distance."

*rushes off to revise immediately*

Listen: My bet is you'll hear a highway, an A/C unit, or another human before a dog starts yelping.
But I think that the highway and an A/C unit have this constant hum. A hum that you no longer notice. And the good stuff in novels happen when no one else is around ( :p )... it's still, it's night, no other human is up and about, they're all sleeping. But the dogs are up, and they can hear everything. So out of the quiet, a dog barks.

I think a dog barked in the distance in the last book I read, Horns by Joe Hill.

I'm glad y'all enjoyed the article! :)

Eva said:
I think I may have perpetrated an example of this in my own writing, but in reverse. One of my characters surveys an empty field in winter. "No breeze whispered over the snow. No dogs barked in the distance."

*rushes off to revise immediately*
Hee hee! :)

I can't recall if Tolkien uses that phrase but howling wolves are frequently heard in Middle Earth.

Joe Hill's "Horns"

From the last book I read:

The street baked in the summer heat, and nothing moved on it, and the sound of a dog barking down the road was the sound of heatstroke, of migraines, of the indolent, overheated summer staggering to its end.
Horns by Joe Hill, page 308

A slight variation:
Once he thought he heard something call and stopped; but it was only the baying of a dog from the Red Farm and he went on (...)

The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde.

Oh, there was another short story on that book with a barking dog in it. I'll look it up when I get home.

Ever since this thread started, I have been trying to recall what TV show or movie had the main character's narrative voice say: somewhere in the distance, a dog barked.

Back