• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Speaking 2 languages may delay getting Alzheimer's

Good thing I'm multilingual- although, I can't figure out why I can't remember my own name sometimes.

Does this mean that those of us who speak three or more languages can actually give someone Alzheimers?

128734938154929007.jpg

I am trilingual myself. I guess I can kick that illness off the death list. A Mack truck will likely smash into me and I will explode into pieces of flesh and bones.

Question: How many languages do I need to learn before I become immortal.

That study is hogwash. Live in the moment and take advantage of everything this life has to offer. We are not just sitting on a rock waiting to die, we are living creatures.

__

That study is hogwash. Live in the moment and take advantage of everything this life has to offer. We are not just sitting on a rock waiting to die, we are living creatures.

I never realised you had a medical degree. What, in particular, do you find wrong with the study? And do rocks really wait to die?

One thing is clear to me; using more than one language affects mental activities. Individual effects differ. This area is worth studying.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

OK, so after feeling a bit like the Ugly American last weekend, I have decided to become quad-lingual. Or at the very least fluent enough to survive for a week in a foreign country.

I am fine in Germany and Austria. Spain, too. It's the Other Places that are problematic.

Russian. I want to learn Russian. At least enough to get by without getting myself killed. Hell, just getting the alphabet down would be a major milestone.

I'm trilingual - English, Danish, Lakota, (and passable Latin) - however, given the past experience of Alzheimer research, which has had more theories than Harold Camping has dates for The Rapture, I don't think I'll rely on being able to master several languages to keep the effects of the disease at bay.

No, I shall take comfort in the fact that when I sink into the depths of dementia my incoherent ramblings will be done in a melding of English, Danish and Lakota. ;)

I'm trilingual - English, Danish, Lakota, (and passable Latin) - however, given the past experience of Alzheimer research, which has had more theories than Harold Camping has dates for The Rapture, I don't think I'll rely on being able to master several languages to keep the effects of the disease at bay.

No, I shall take comfort in the fact that when I sink into the depths of dementia my incoherent ramblings will be done in a melding of English, Danish and Lakota. ;)

Lakota? Impressive. How'd you learn that in Australia?

Back