• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Split the Science Fiction / Fantasy genre

Rogue

Would it be possible to have two seperate genres instead of one?

I don't think these genres really belong together. Mostly I'm looking for science fiction but fantasy always comes in my way. It would make things easier.

Thx for considering this.

Do you mean on this forum, or in the bookstores? No can do in the bookstores, since many fantasy readers are also willing to pick up science fiction titles. Shelving them together increases sales of both, which is needed because SFF only accounts for 11-12% of the genre fiction market. They need every advantage they can get.

This is not entirely relevant; The third book in Magie Furey's Shadowleauge mixes Sf and Fantasy and it is actually quite good

Fistandantilus said:
This is not entirely relevant; The third book in Magie Furey's Shadowleauge mixes Sf and Fantasy and it is actually quite good
Does that mean that since there are romantic horror stories, we would have to mix that into one genre? Or am I missing something. :)

I think it would be a good idea to split them. I don't really like SF and there are pretty big differences. Seems strange they are one.

no. fantasy and sci fi are two completerly different genres and are written differently with different concepts. it is easy to fit romance inside horror, but to fit an SF in a Fantasy is a different story.

Fistandantilus said:
no. fantasy and sci fi are two completerly different genres and are written differently with different concepts. it is easy to fit romance inside horror, but to fit an SF in a Fantasy is a different story.
I think I'm in some way understanding you wrong. What you are saying here isn't it that it would be natural to have the split in genres then?

Cathy C said:
Do you mean on this forum, or in the bookstores? No can do in the bookstores, since many fantasy readers are also willing to pick up science fiction titles. Shelving them together increases sales of both, which is needed because SFF only accounts for 11-12% of the genre fiction market. They need every advantage they can get.
I mean in the book forum.

I like both genres too but they are totally different things. Fantasy and SF really have nothing in common at all. The only reason they are lumped together is that shops sell them that way. :)

Actually, I don't mind them they way they are at present. There are books that doesn't really fit in either category, and having both in the same subforum makes it a more lively subforum than it otherwise would be.

ds

The Science Fiction / Fantasy Genre is the busiest genre on the forum. With 463 threads and 5113 post it is big enough to be split without becoming ghost town genres.

I think that they should be kept together. Sometimes books are hard to classify as either Sci-fi or Fantasy, and it would be a hassle having to worry over which forum to look in or post in about a certain book.

Back