• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

star wars books?

My favorite is still The Courtship of Princess Leia by Dave Wolverton. I'm also fond of Shadows of the Empire by Steve Perry.

I have five novels that I have yet to have read and I've had them for years. I think I burnt myself out on Star Wars by reading so much in such a short period of time. Someday I'll get around to those unread books... ;)

Shadows Of the Empire was a good one. I also enjoyed The New Rebellion by Kristine Kathryn Rusch and the Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn.

I forgot I had the first four New Jedi Order novels until recently. I should probably give them a try, but I've said that about so many books.

I honestly liked Timothy Zahn, and actually met the man once. His books (especially the Last Command Trilogy) are generally considered to be the best, from the people I've talked to anyway. Set reasonably close to the end of the trilogy are these:

A Truce at Bakura
The Courtship of Princess Leia
Timothy Zahn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire/Dark Force Rising/The Last Command)

Splinter of the Mind's Eye was the first Star Wars book written, and takes place between the first and second movies. Shadows of the Empire took place between the second and third movies and does a nice job of connecting things.

I'd recommend any of these. All very good.

You could also try AC Crispin's Han Solo trilogy, which takes place before Episode IV. I have yet to read those books myself but I've heard positive things about them.

I read one of those, and it was good if I remember correctly. But I'll be honest here; I probably read it when I was, like, eight, so my memory's fuzzy.

i know there's a lot out there, so which ones should I start with, if any, and which ones are the best ones?

thanks!!

Ana

Thats exactly the reason I never started to read star wars books. Is there any particular order your supposed to start in?

It's easy to get confused if you try the more recent ones first. But no, it's not always important. Just start with the first book in a particular series of the books and move on from there. I would recommend starting out with the ones that take place nearer to the trilogy for sanity's sake, but I didn't do it and I figured things out.

A Truce at Bakura
The Courtship of Princess Leia
Timothy Zahn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire/Dark Force Rising/The Last Command)
I didn't really like A Truce at Bakura. That trilogy is among the books that I have not read, as well as Visions of the Future and Specter of the Past.

Might start to read some Star Wars books soon as my son is heavily into it now, he's 6 and he likes me to make up stories about whatever he is into at a particular time and I need some source material to spark my imagination.

I have a couple of trilogies on my ebay watch list, I'll snipe it and hopefully win at least 1 set

Definately start with the Timothy Zahn books, starting with Heir to the Empire. But my favorite SW books are the X-Wing Rogue Squadron series. They are great.

"Shatterpoint" by Matthew Woodring Stover is also very good. It takes place during the Clone Wars and as far as Star Wars novels goes can stand alone. It follows Mace Windu as he tries to find one of his former students that has gone astray.

"I, Jedi" by Michael A. Stackpole is also pretty good.

Definitely the Zahn novels.

'Truce at Bakura' was okay, but it didn't have as much plot, in my opinion. I like Zahn's handling of the politics and best of all, ships. Very interesting.

Why not the 6 books based on the 6 movies? Ep I - VI ?

'Course I've had a hard time finding the books for Ep II and III myself.

I've decided to start reading the books and am going to read them in order of the story, so I just finished Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace.

Next I'm going to read in this order:

Attack of the Clones
Revenge of the Sith
Vader
Star Wars - A New Hope
Splinter in a Mind's Eye
The Empire Strikes Back
Shadows of the Empire
Return of the Jedi

And then the "Thrawn trilogy". After that I may start picking up on some of the others from the "Expanded Universe"; e.g. Champions of the Force, Truce at Bakura, I, Jedi, etc.

Back