• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stardust

roddglenn

I got to see this last night and after a bit of an awkward start I actually really enjoyed it. At first it seems quite disjointed - like they've had to shoe-horn as much as possible from the book into it to the detriment of the flow of the story. But it settles down and turns into quite an adventure laced with a generous amount of British humour.

Claire Danes and Charlie Cox play the two main leads - they both give decent enough performances, but the real stars are the amazing ensemble cast around them. Robert De Niro (brilliant!!!), Michelle Pfeiffer, Peter O'Toole, Sir Ian McKellen (narrating), Rupert Everett, Sienna Miller, Mark Strong, Jason Flemyng, David Walliams, Dexter Fletcher AND Ricky Gervais.

There's one or two nudge-nudge-wink-wink scenes that are wonderfully naughty and are totally Jane Goldman who co-wrote the screenplay. That Jonathan Ross is a lucky guy!

Overall an 8/10

I agree about the awkward start but once the story got rolling, the movie was quite enjoyable.

I LOVED this movie!!!
It was clever, magical, sweet, and fun!!!

Now I am going to have to get the book.
The writer said he was inspired by a stone wall in Ireland and a shooting star in Arizona. Amazing.

I thought it was funny to see Arthur Weasley (Mark Williams) from the Harry Potter movies playing Billy. He was adorable and funny.

I thought the movie was very funny in some parts (mostly the scenes with the ghosts) but overall I was bored. Robert De Niro's performance was annoying and Claire Danes had these really weird facial expressions. Michelle Pfeiffer, thankfully, gave a great performance. Probably the best in the whole movie, come to think of it.

So yeah . . . I prefer the book. That's not great either but it's much more captivating than the film.

Back