• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Starting a book

chickaDEE

kickbox
I've always wanted to write a book; in particular: historical fiction. I don't really know where to get started. I'm only 15 and don't have a lot of experience...but I'd like to know how to research, make a storyline, etc. I know this is silly because everyone's like "it'll come to you", but I think i just need something to boost my motivation because it seems like a lot of work. Any suggestions?

Pick an event and write about it. But don't directly involve the event - have it as a background. Pick someone who would have been around at the time and give them a story that incorporates the event.

Historical fiction can be tricky to do right. The best thing to remember is think small. The smaller you keep the scope, the less likely you will make a mistake that contradicts reality. Also, heavily research.

Id always outline and research before you write, sitting down and "letting it come" to you is usually a mistake for any work of reasonable length. Know what you will do before you write it. That said...if you have particular scenes or situations that you want to play with but dont have a full idea...write them down and then see what you could fit around them.

Back