• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King: Wolves Of The Calla

agreed

Lyra said:
I just finished it last night and now agree that it was a bit short - quite a lot happened in terms of understanding more about the dark tower but not much happened if you know what I mean. Fantastic build up to the last book though - I don't know how I will wait until it comes out.

I know what you mean about not much happened in Song of Susannah. It seemed the book was unfinished. But like you said, it's hopefully for fantastic ending.

Heh, it's funny how I've been waiting for the ending for 10 years now. I almost don't want it to end. :rolleyes:

I find that all those Gunslinger books are not that good. I loved most of Kingsa books there was a few in there that were not worth my time, but thsoe Wolves of the Calla, are really bad do not waste your money.

Great books. You can knock King all you want, but Roland Deschain is the literary equivalent of a Michel Angelo sculpture - beautifully real.

King's characters are his forte: the DT series shows him utilizing this skill.

Ingrid

Dark Tower VII out today :D Amazon gave me a dispatch date of 20 September when I ordered it last week but it hasn't even been dispatched yet :mad: Knew I shouldn't have been a cheapskate and ordered it from Amazon instead of going to the book shop.

Lyra - that's what I did! And there was me thinking I was going to get it before it hit the shelves... Pah. I doubt either of us will be doing that again, ho ho ho.

It has finally arrived :D bloomin' Amazon - at least it came in time for the weekend - I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

Lyra - Let me know what you think. I'm just about half way through it myself. I'm almost hesitant to read it too fast. :) Trying to savor the last one!!

Spoiler for page 312 The Dark Tower VII:

oh my god. I didn't expect it to be Eddie. The way King had built up one of them dying was masterful - you couldn't stop reading until you found what would happen but also didn't want to find out because one of them would be gone forever. I thought it would be Susannah for some reason.

As Bernard says, I don't want to read this book quickly because then it will all be over but I can't concentrate on anything else until I know how it all ends!

Lyra, have you finished the book? That wasn't how I saw the end of this series. I want to know what you think.

I finished Wolves of the Calla last night! It was great to be back in Roland's world(s) after waiting so long to read it. I enjoyed the book a lot, but in truth I don't really think that a lot happened in it, compared to others. Typical King to call it Wolves... and then not have them appear at all until the final 30 pages or so! Most of the book dealt with extending the characters of Roland's tet and looking at how they interact with others. Also, there was a surprising lack of gore for a King book.

It has been a long time since I read 1-4, so the introduction was very useful, and much of it came back to me. I don't think many people will agree with me here, but I have to say that I found Pere Callahan's story quite tedious. I suspect he may join the group to be conveniently sacrificed later on. It was weird for King to be self-referencing in the story. (I know he has done it before, but can't remember in which books.) Loved the plate throwing! :cool:

I can't wait for the others - I've just splashed out on The Dark Tower in hardback from Ebay! Now I've just got to get Song of Susannah from somewhere too.

Back