• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King

Holger

kickbox
My VERY favourit author is Stephen King.

Some time ago he started to give out a novell ("The Plant") via the internet. I have 4 or 5 of the files. Does anybody know if he ever continued the story?

/Holger

Thanks!

Ok, I visited the King-website earlier today, but it has been like that since half a year now, I think.

Did anyone read the online-book? It is great ...
I still have the copies if anybody wants to ... just send me an email (holger@manual-forum.de)!

I've never really been a King fan. I did like a piece of his I read last year, The Little Sisters of Eluria (it appeared in a collection of short fantasy stories called Legends, and it made me wanna read more of his Dark Tower), though I think it's safe to say that that must've been the first piece of writing by Stephen King that I could truly appreciate... Then again: maybe I always pick out the wrong books?

Is The Plant really that good? What kind of style is it?

--

I'm sorry I can't help you out on the whole will-the-plant-come-back-or-won't-it-issue. I know I read an article about it a couple of months ago, but I can't seem to find the magazine anywhere -- if only I knew which magazine it was! -- I might've even thrown it out, so I think I'm really no use right now... I'll keep looking though.

Thanks a lot!

Well, what kind of story is it, hmmmm ... it tells a story about a publishing house. This particular house is not going very well, in fact, the owner wants to close it. Well, in their stress to find something VERY selling they look through old manuscripts. And they refuse a book that a writer send to them. Ok, so the writer gets angry and sends them a plant - an EVIL plant. It occures that the writer is very evil, or maybe the publishers only think that? Hmmm ... ok, the novell stopps somewhere where it just is getting exciting ... They search for that writer. :p

Hmmm. Maybe I should just wait until he finishes the book then? I can't stand not being able to read the book from cover to cover immediately!

> I can't stand not being able to read the book from cover to cover immediately!

That might present a problem with comics reading :rolleyes: Lies, old fruit. (See your thread on same in the relevant section of The Forum.)

By the way, I know your brothers, Damned Lies and Statistics. We did some time together.

As far as Stephen King goes, Hol, I'd say personally that he's often scuppered by his own popularity. He could publish a novel about someone wallpapering their front room and it would still sell like hot cakes. He's not challenged by the necessity to write well any more. In some cases, his introductions and afterwords are more meritorious than the story they bookend. That's not to say that he can't still write good fiction - newer works like Dolores Claiborne and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon prove it. The non-fantastical first half of Rose Madder is also a good example - although there is a lot of speculation about how much of it may or may not have been written by his wife. But he has put out some stinkers, too - notably the tiresome Tommyknockers and downright ludicrous Insomnia. You have to go back to the early eighties (the superb but poorly titled It), and more realistically to the seventies for great works with terrific characterisation, top notch dialogue, and great storytelling. Novels like The Stand, Christine, Carrie and 'Salem's Lot can stand up proud in a lineup with any selection of so-called Literary Fiction. These days... well, I don't know. He's still got it in him, but it comes out less and less often. His long essay on the art of writing, called appropriately On Writing is an excellent and well-respected work, though, and demonstrates his (constantly threatened) ability to keep one foot in the posh doorway while hawking his populist wares out on the street.

Chew the bones out of that, as Pappy used to say. (And still does, actually.)

Tobytook

Ok Tob,

He could publish crap if would like to, but he doesn't. I am very surprised everytime I open a book written by him, because I always wait for the first bad book ("It has to come some day, hasn't it?"). But I always read the books from cover to back. He is a genius in my eyes.

Some time ago I have read Rose Madder and now have read Desperation in a double band together with Regulator. In Desperation Rose is acting again. That sent a shiver down my spine ...

Ok, it is good that the world has so many authors. Some people like King, other don't.

But I have to agree with you, the older books are better ... but I loved Hearts in Atlantis

/Holger

That might present a problem with comics reading :rolleyes: Lies, old fruit. (See your thread on same in the relevant section of The Forum.)
OK, let me rephrase: I don't like not being able to finish a book, especially when I have to book at my disposal? Knowing that the book isn't finished (and there's a possibility it will never be finished), makes me think I'd better wait before picking it up. (I know there's a perfectly good explanation for how I feel about all of this, I just can't seem to put it into words, especially not in English :rolleyes: )

By the way, I know your brothers, Damned Lies and Statistics. We did some time together.
And there I was, thinking my mother had been faithful to my father! Give them all my love, will you?

As far as Stephen King goes [...]
I'd have to agree with you, though my judgement of him isn't based on as much reading as you did.

It's the same problem I had with other authors -- Nicholas Evans to name one. They get so much attention in the press, and when it comes down to it, the books aren't what you expected of it, not even close.

I can not believe you didn't like Insomnia. i rate it almost as highly as the stand.

I love it when he does those epic books, ones that span years and envolve characters that seem so real.

It is another magnificant example.

I remember when I was young looking up at my dads book case, always wanting to read the stefan ( as i used to call him!) kings books- man did i regreat a few at that tender age!!

simon.

Stephen King Favourites

Hmmm....

He's written in a lot of different styles - long epics, short novellas, non-fiction, ... It's hard to pinpoint just one book.

How about:
  • "Different Seasons" - for a great collection of novellas
  • "The Shining" - for one of his scariest
  • "The Stand" - for a big epic
  • "On Writing" - for non-fiction (though Danse Macabre is good, too)
  • "The Dark Tower Series" - for ongoing serial

I love his It style books. The stand is awesome. The Talisman as well, although I was let down by Black House. When I discovered that Jack was back I couldn't believe it. If only it had been more. More what I don't know, just more!!

This is my first post. Hello all! I am a Stephen King fan, but I don't buy every book he puts out. I made that mistake years ago and was disappointed several times.

I don't know if the books I didn't like were duds or just ones that didn't appeal to me. Tommyknockers and Cujo are two that I couldn't get through. (Sorry it they were anyone's favorites.)

The Dark Tower series is my favorites, although it's tough to put The Stand second. It's a classic. I recently read The Talisman (don't know how I missed it when it first came out) and then Black House. I, too, was dissappointed, but enjoyed the little surprises he included in the story...wouldn't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it yet.

Anyone that writes as extentively as he does is sure to have a couple of duds. I guess I'll let him.

Hello and welcome, Dawn.

I've read a lot of Stephen King, too, but not all. I just discovered his Dark Tower series in the past year and raced through the first three. I'm waiting for some extra time to savour "Wizard and Glass" -which is sitting on my bookshelf, ready to go!

I try to buy used books whenever I can, but haven't been able to get my hands on a good copy of the Talisman.

He is a very prolific writer and it's quite amazing the number of quality stories he's managed over the years.

What's your favourite, stand-alone book by King?

Thanks for the welcome, Ell. I would have to say that The Stand is my favorite with The Talisman a close second. Of course The Shining was great too. Hmmm. Tough call. That would be my top three. I do wish he'd concentrate on finishing The Dark Tower series, though.

Stephen King novels

After reading forum members comments about the author Stephen King I got the opportunity to buy a number of his hardback books at a recent “Car Boot” sale. Although it is nicknamed a car-boot sale it is held in a cattle auction mart and all the sellers hire an empty cattle pen within a great big barn, set up a table within the pen and start selling to the general public, who are charged an entrance fee by the sale organisers. There are also sellers who park there cars outside in the auction mart grounds, set up a table in front of their car boot or load space, and start selling from there.

I bought the following books by Stephen King. They were in excellent condition and seemed a bargain for the selling price of £2 each.

I decided to buy all the titles that the seller had in “Hardback”.

Tommy Knockers
It
Four Past Midnight
Needful Things
Black House

The last book appears to have been written by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

Perhaps all you Stephen King fans can advise me which of the above books I should start reading first and what you think of my purchases. The stallholder said that I could have the lot for £9.

Regards to all Stephen King fans. I might even class myself as one myself after reading all the above, but at half an hours reading per weekday it is going to take me some time.

Ian

Re: Stephen King novels

Originally posted by Ian Sanders
I bought the following books by Stephen King. They were in excellent condition and seemed a bargain for the selling price of £2 each.

Tommy Knockers
It
Four Past Midnight
Needful Things
Black House

The last book appears to have been written by Stephen King and Peter Straub.
And now to court the wrath of virtually everyone:

Read It first as it is a genuinely excellent novel about the nature of friendship - with some the of the best child characterisation I've ever read.

Then go out and buy The Talisman, the sequel to which is The Black House - both are by King & Straub in partnership. The Talisman is a good fantasy sci-fi, focused around another credible child character. It reads well and at a brisk pace (except for the interminable desert train sequence). Or, at least, it did when I was fifteen. I haven't read the sequel but check back earlier in the thread for another user's (less than glowing) response.

I'd use the others to prop up wobbly tables or stop doors banging. Don't lament the cost, though. A hardback copy of It in good nick is worth the value you paid for the lot.

Cat? Meet pigeons.

Tobytook

Read It first as it is a genuinely excellent novel about the nature of friendship - with some the of the best child characterisation I've ever read.

I agree, wholeheartedly. IT scared the you-know-what out of me. For a truly creepy experience, be sure to read IT in a quiet place, late at night with only your reading lamp for illumination.

Then go out and buy The Talisman, the sequel to which is The Black House - both are by King & Straub in partnership. The Talisman is a good fantasy sci-fi, focused around another credible child character. It reads well and at a brisk pace (except for the interminable desert train sequence).

I'd like suggest reading at least a couple books from the Dark Tower series before The Talisman and Black House. (No, I won't say why.)

I'd use the others to prop up wobbly tables or stop doors banging. Don't lament the cost, though.

You said it, Toby. I had been holding back my post while trying to come up with a less painful way of saying the same thing, seeing as Ian just spent his hard-earned money on door stops. :)

Welcome, Ian, to the world of Stephen King.

Back