• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephenie Meyer: Breaking Dawn

never_know

I've recently finished Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer and I've to say i was kind of disappointed after reading it. The beginning was good and I'm glad
Edward and Bella got married and we finally see what's going on in Jacob's head , but what happened after was a bit weird. I mean, Bella's adjusted really well to the whole newborn vampire thing and on top of that she controls her powers better than anyone else. Also, instead of going away to Atlanta and hiding from her family and friends, her relationship with Charlie is saved thanks to Jacob. In the mean time, nobody else in Forks is even mentioned, I mean what happened to the whole human charade, to the public story of what was going on in there? And to top it all, there are the Volturi who decide to attack them and who finally realize that's not such a good idea an go back to Italy. I mean, Bella gets her happy ending from the moment she is transformed into a vampire and all the other problems seem to be waved away by the author just as fast as they've appeared.
I enjoyed the other books but this one is just not as convincing as the others. What did you think about it?

I agree that it was not as convincing. I've heard opinions of it reading like fanfiction, and I have to agree. It just felt weird, like it wasn't the real story.

I've recently finished Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer and I've to say i was kind of disappointed after reading it. The beginning was good and I'm glad
Edward and Bella got married and we finally see what's going on in Jacob's head , but what happened after was a bit weird. I mean, Bella's adjusted really well to the whole newborn vampire thing and on top of that she controls her powers better than anyone else. Also, instead of going away to Atlanta and hiding from her family and friends, her relationship with Charlie is saved thanks to Jacob. In the mean time, nobody else in Forks is even mentioned, I mean what happened to the whole human charade, to the public story of what was going on in there? And to top it all, there are the Volturi who decide to attack them and who finally realize that's not such a good idea an go back to Italy. I mean, Bella gets her happy ending from the moment she is transformed into a vampire and all the other problems seem to be waved away by the author just as fast as they've appeared.
I enjoyed the other books but this one is just not as convincing as the others. What did you think about it?

I am about 500 pages into Breaking Dawn and I must admit that I am pretty disappointed as well. Stephenie Meyer took me by surprise when she decided to get Bella Pregnant with Edward's child. Since she is Mormon I never thought she would go there; but she did. I thought the beginning of the book was very well written and convincing. She did a wonderful job describing the wedding. I also enjoyed reading about Bella and Edward's honeymoon. I thought it was very well described. Stephenie Meyer knows just the amount of detail to use to let you know what is happening, yet not enough to make u want to stop reading. It is perfect for young teens. I did not enjoy the book as much as the previous ones, once you found out she was pregnant and going back home, the book went down hill from that point on. I also did not like reading from Jacob's perspective during Bella's pregnancy process. I felt like it should have been from Bella's point of view. Although it did help you connect to Jacob's emotions and feel his pain and longing for Bella. I did find it interesting that Jacob separated from the pack and became in tune with his roots of being the leader of the wolf pack. I am hoping that the book gets better now that I am reading from Bella's perspective again. So far, it has been interesting. I did not expect a whole lot to change now that Bella is a vampire as well, and I am glad that she is not one of those out of control newborns in Eclipse. That would have been really disappointing and aggravating. I am just happy that Bella is finally a vampire and I am hoping the book ends well and gets better. So far, it has not met my expectations.

.... Stephenie Meyer took me by surprise when she decided to get Bella Pregnant with Edward's child. .... I did not enjoy the book as much as the previous ones, once you found out she was pregnant and going back home, the book went down hill from that point on. I also did not like reading from Jacob's perspective during Bella's pregnancy process. I felt like it should have been from Bella's point of view. Although it did help you connect to Jacob's emotions and feel his pain and longing for Bella. I did find it interesting that Jacob separated from the pack and became in tune with his roots of being the leader of the wolf pack.

I was surprised about the whole pregnancy thing too, but it feels good when you read a book and have no idea about what's going to happen next so that's a plus for the book. It was a good idea to write some part of the book from another character's perspective too...but Jacob's referring to Rosalie as Blondie seemed a bit too much...it just seemed as some parts were really pushed to the extreme and just destroyed the good parts of the story...I mean I'm no guy but if I were I wouldn't talk or think like that...it just didn't seem real and takes away from the character's complexity ...
what i really didn't like about the book was
Jacob's imprinting on Ness and Bella's response to it (and I'm not referring to her wanting to kill him but to her accepting it after crying so much in the 3rd book)
... it was too easy, and sometimes it's better when characters suffer...it's not that i hate Jacob and I wanted him to suffer, but it would have seemed normal if not all characters got their happy ending after all....or at least not like that, not that fast

Re Breaking Dawn Review

Hi All,

I just discovered Stephanie Meyer's books a month ago and have raced through the first 3 and am now 1/2 way through Breaking Dawn. I agree, for me, this book is somewhat of a let down. Part of me wanted Bella to stay human and end up with Jacob. Am I the only one who feels this way? I feel somewhat disappointed Jacob imprinted with her child. I haven't finished so maybe I'll feel differently by books end, but I don't think so. I also was hoping Bella would have some great super gift, other than being able to control herself.
Just my thoughts!
Cherie

I too was very disappointed with the last of the Saga.

I was amoung the 200 people at our Barnes & Noble midnight party waiting to get my book, and I even held off till the next day to start the book due to work...

It took me a while longer to read this book than the others.

The book, to me just had a ENTIRE different feeling to it. I keep telling myself that it is only because I've read so many other books in between the last one, including The Host, which I thought was outstanding in every way.

I guess what I'm saying is that yes, if she does come out with Midnight Sun, I will read it, but I'm really hoping that one of my favorite authors continues with her adult line as well!

I liked the beginning. Then, there was Jacob.......After she wrote the part from Jacob's view, her writing style completely changed. It was still interesting, but nothing compared to her past books. Most authors grow gradually through their writing, but you can always see that as their books progress. She does a drastic change and it is completely unexpected. I am in the process of reading it again, just really slow, and I'm understanding it a little bit more now, but it is still not my favorite out of the series, and it is nothing compared to the Host.

I'm not even going to really go into detail about why I didnt like it... but I didnt.

I also think she should have spread the story out a bit more... did it seem rushed to anyone else?

did it seem rushed to anyone else?

I got the same feeling after reading it...like she wanted to cram all the happy endings in one book since it was the last one in the saga :( ... i'm really sad she gave up writing midnight sun for the moment but it looks amazing so far and i do hope she finishes it and publishes the book

I'm kind of Meyered out, if you know what I mean. Breaking Dawn kind of killed the whole Twilight saga for me... maybe if she waits a few years to finish Midnight Sun, I'd actually enjoy reading it, lol

Priceless. I also recommend her diatribe directed towards readers who hated this book.

I haven't started Breaking Dawn, I'm halfway through Eclipse, but that video is seriously disturbing. From the perspective of a husband who never reads romance trying to relate more to his wife.... I just can't care as much about these characters as that lady obviously does. I like the books OK. I confess that so far, I like Jacob more than Edward. As a father, I would be on Edward like white on rice. I would be buying garlic, and silver bullets by the truckload.

I agree with all posts so far - I was disappointed with Breaking Dawn. I raced through the previous three and then had a hard time finishing Breaking Dawn.

I think Meyer was almost too close to her characters??? Like she didn't want anything bad to happen to them...on the other hand, makes for a very dull read.

The sex between Bella and Edward...all I'm going to say...it was weird. The whole book was weird.

I confess, I really enjoyed Breaking Dawn. Although I think she could have made two books out of it to expand and elaborate on the story more. And it did feel like some depth of the characters was missing. I liked it enough that I would recommend to people.

I think she could have made two books out of it to expand and elaborate on the story more. And it did feel like some depth of the characters was missing.

that's exactly why i didn't like it as much as the others. there just seemed to be something missing. It didn't feel "real" to me like the other 3 did. Seemed like the book was rushed...

I don't think anti-climatic quite covers this book. I felt like it was such a let down. I mean, we're all geared up for this HUGE thing, and it never happens? Please. It wouldn't have ended that way, and everyone knows it. *lol*

i was turned onto the series and the min i picked up twilight i went through the first 3 within days. after waiting months for new moon to come out, i found myself less involved with it. after i reached the wedding, everything went downhill. i also had a hard time with Jacobs section. he didnt feel real to me the way Bella did. i also thought that she should have been one of those uncontrollable new borns, she got everything so easily. maybe stephenie meyer wrote it this way because she felt it was Bella's destiny but i personally found it to ruin their story. i will always love the series, and will definitely re-read or recommend.

Back