• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stieg Larsson

I've read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The first 100 pages of it was bit rough to get through. Mainly because I find the fiance boring.

But after I got done with Salander's little side-plot with Bjurman, it started getting really good. I'm reading the second book right now. On page 268 I believe.

Hopefully nobody will scroll back to see the my post declaring that I would not read any further in the series. I just finished The Girl Who Played With Fire. In one day. It was very good. Stieg Larsson really knows how to construct a thriller to get you involved, there are places in the book where you are sitting straight up, furiously burning through the pages, and since I don't know how to post a spoiler and can only say there is one spot where you will drop the book in astonished dismay. One criticism that I have about it is having the protagonist, a small, skinny girl, using physical force to fight physically and numerically superior foes. I don't like that. There are plenty of Jack Bauers out there that can kick the crap out of evildoers, and they have their fans. It's not what you expect from Lisbeth Salander. She doesn't do it very often, and it's not central to the outcome of the book, but I dislike it none the less.

Anyway, the reason I picked the book up after I said that I was uninterested in the series was the fact that Played With Fire climbed back up the best seller list after the GWTDT movie came out in the US.

I thoroughly enjoyed his books. They were written from such a fresh perspective in my opinion. I felt that the graphic nature of them lent more to the passion behind the writing. I have seen the first movie from Sweden. I heard the American version is more graphic. I would like to see the second movie now. I hate to leave something unfinished...I try to read an entire series, I like to watch all the movies in a series, etc. Although I suppose I can say that it is easier for me to do this because I try to be picky with what I read/watch in the first place :)

Finally finished Hornet's Nest. My favorite of the trilogy is Played With Fire, I pretty much read the whole thing in one sitting. It's satisfying that he wrapped it up neatly at the end of the third book, but is there a fourth manuscript out there on the hard drive of his old laptop? His girlfriend supposedly has the laptop and the rumours were swirling. Otherwise, no more Lisbeth Salander.

It's satisfying that he wrapped it up neatly at the end of the third book, but is there a fourth manuscript out there on the hard drive of his old laptop? His girlfriend supposedly has the laptop and the rumours were swirling. Otherwise, no more Lisbeth Salander.

From what I've understood it's something like this: Larsson and his long-time girlfriend (as in decades) never got married for various reasons, including that his journalist work often had him living with death threats. So when he suddenly dropped dead at 50 he didn't have a valid will, and when he just as suddenly became a bestselling author shortly afterwards, his family with whom he'd had very little contact became multi-millionaires and his life partner who'd been his primary sounding board while writing the novels got nada. So as part of a very public row between them regarding who should have the rights to what, she revealed that she still "knows where his computer is" and that there's some unpublished stuff on it. Apparently there's nowhere near a complete novel, but given how the three finished ones sold, I'm sure there'd be a market for a few hundred pages of scraps...

Back