• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stories about love and sadness

elusion

What stories make you cry?

Sorry if this one has been done before, but I just found this forum today and I am enjoying reading all the posts so much. For this topic, I don't mean a love story in the conventional sense. I mean a story containing love tinged with sadness or perverted by darkness.

Two stories come to mind:

Proving It, by Andrew Vachss

The Last Rung on the Ladder, by Stephen King

Books that have made me cry...well, that could be quite a list, since I have a very soft heart. I'll give you a few of my favs.

Beth Gutcheon- More Than You Know
James Patterson- Sam's Letters to Jennifer
James Patterson- Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas
Sue Monk Kidd- The Secret Life of Bees
Nicholas Evans- The Horse Whisperer

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan had me crying like a baby. That's about love too but more about the love between family members, specifically mothers and children. And about how hard it is to be an immigrant in America, and also how hard it is to be a woman in China. Great book.

KristoCat said:
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan had me crying like a baby. That's about love too but more about the love between family members, specifically mothers and children. And about how hard it is to be an immigrant in America, and also how hard it is to be a woman in China. Great book.

I did really like that book.

I've always liked The Feast of All Saints by Anne Rice, it's not like any of her other stories I've read and it's not entirely a love story but the relationship between Marie & Richard is very touching.

The only book that has made me cry is Billy (I'm unsure of the author.. I'll have a search in a bit). It's about a small black boy back in segregated southern USA, who is charged with the murder of a white girl. It deals with the injustice and such in the USA at the time. Very sad :(

MonkeyCatcher

Back