• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Strange Sounding Titles...

cabrasopa

Long book titles

Just replied to the thread title/author word association in which i submitted at title called..

Kingdom of Fear: Loathsome Secrets of a Star-crossed Child in the Final Days of the American Century - Hunter S Thompson.

Pretty long title for a book. What's the longest titled book you've read.

I havn't really read any books with amazingly long titles, but another book that I have heard of with a long title is Lamb: The Gospel according to Biff, Christ's childhood pal

Seen this one browsing this morning..

Ghosties And Ghoulies And Long-Legged Beasties And Things That Go Bump In The Night: Christian Basics for the Twenty-First Century by Don E Post

Born on the Fourth of July - You can see a lot standing under a flare in South Vietnam (I think that's hw the title reads... it's been years)

I read a pleasant nonfiction book called The Piano Shop on the Left Bank: Discovering a Forgotten Passion in a Paris Atelier. If you've ever spent an extended period of time in Paris you'll enjoy it :)

Probably The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole Aged 13 3/4 by Sue Townsend (highly recommended by the way).

I like funny numbers in titles too. How about A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters by Julian Barnes? Great book.

Teach Your Child to Think :confused:

aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_0140126805.01._OU02._PE20_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Test your cat's IQ

aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_0002555026.02._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Happy Hooker :eek:

aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_0060014164.01._OU02._PE34_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And the very very useful...

How to Walk in High Heels

aimages_eu.amazon.com_images_P_0340836059.02._PE40_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Any more strange sounding books out there? :D

abnkkbsnplako (it's true, i used to have a copy of this book but someone borrowed it and never returned the book, i guess she enjoyed it too much)

I don't find these to be strange at all--except for that nonsense one.

The titles that bother me are things like Chicken Soup for Teenage Acne, etc. First, it refers to an old wives' tale (albeit with some truth in it), then builds a metaphor for a previous book, then refers back to that title so that you have:

--dumb reference, replete with cozy emo-hearthside connotation
--reference to previous book or books--spurring yet more sales!
--culminating in pop-culture pseudospeak as a title

It becomes a parody of itself.

Weird book titles

What is the weirdest title of a book you have come across? I was reading this article on strange book titles like "A God or a Bench" or "Insects are just like You and Me except some of them have Wings".

The book I just finished was called Dead Girls are Easy, and my husband saw the cover and said, "What the heck does that even mean?" *lol*

Back