• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Strange Things: role play

The sky was yellow and what appeared to be a sun but it was blood red. There was a road coming out of the cave that went across hills as far as the eye could see.
"What's that?" said Poppy. "It looks like a giant bird."
When Dermut caught a good look at it he knew what it was.
"It's a griffon Poppy. Ain't you ever seen one?" he said. Dermut had rode one once and knew it was possible to ride one. "Maybe he can help us out."
He clasped his hands together and made a weird sound. "It's a griffon call."

160ynfb.jpg

"Cor," said Poppy. She was impressed with bird impersonations.
The griffon landed, picked Dermut and Poppy up with it's sharp beak and tossed them onto it's back.
They flew off over the mysterious land, following the direction of the road.
Unfortunately, Poppy had trouble holding tightly onto both the griffon and her sword. Lakewind slipped from her grasp and before she could shout "Encanta!", it had fallen to the earth, stunning an innocent elf who happened to be out for his daily constitutional.
"Encanta!" Poppy yelled and Lakewind came hurtling back, nearly taking out an eye. "Whoopsy!"
The griffon started descending towards

what appeared to be a large tree. As they got closer they saw that it contained a tree-house among it's branches. A man was sitting out on a limb wearing a wizard get-up. His name is Volta, and he was expecting the couple for he could see the future with his crystal ball. The griffon set them down on the branch next to the wizard and took off into the sky.

"Ah, I see you are on a quest to capture Scabio. But you have entered into a different realm and will not find him here. This land is inhabited by all creatures non-human. You are welcome to stay, but you must take great care as there are many dangers and beings that could do you harm."
Dermut and Poppy have a talk to decide what to do next. Should they take a look round this amazing land or return to their own, to continue their mission?

"How do we ge back to our world?" asks Dermut. "We have to do something about this Scabio. He's a terrorist and we must stop him."
The wizard looked him in the eyes. "The only way back is the way you came! Yes I know about the cave in. I know of another entrance that would bypass that section of the cave, but it's guarded by an ogre who feeds on men. Here, take this it will help."
Volta handed them a pair of fine silk invisibility cloaks. Dermut makes another griffon call and the beast returns. Poppy takes

a firm grip on her sword this time. She doesn't want to be responsible for any more inadvertent concussions.
On the return journey they pass through a tremendous storm. Lightening and thunder zing and boom all around them. There is danger that their swords will act as conductors for the lightening so they hide them under their invisibility cloaks.
At last they catch sight of the collapsed cave and the griffon gently lands beside it. They give the griffon a hug and pat as he has now become a good friend. They wrap their invisibility capes firmly around themselves and cautiously approach the cave entrance.

They enter the cave and find the ogre sleeping.
"Good he's out."
They tiptoe past the ogre.
"haachoo" sneezes Poppy
The ogre wakes up and investigates the noise.
Dermut and Poppy make a run for it. As he runs Dermut's cape falls off. The ogre grabs him and goes to eat him. The ogre yells all of a sudden and drops Dermut. Poppy had stabbed the ogre in the back with Lakewind. With the ogre facing her she yells "encanta" and the sword cuts clean through him and he falls over dead. "Thanks" says D-mut

Poppy collapses in a heap beside Dermut.
"Whew, Dermut, it kinda takes it out of you, all this excitement. How do they keep it up on the movies?"
"Here, have a swig from my whisky flask," offers Dermut, "that'll perk you up."
Poppy drinks the whole thing, hiccups, coughs and passes out. Dermut rolls his eyes and mutters, "Just what I need, a paralytic Poppy!"
He studies his trusty compass to decide which route to take through the labyrinth of caves, unceremoniously slings Poppy over his shoulder and manfully strides forth.
Bye and bye, Poppy comes to, so he props her up on a handy stalagmite and takes a breather.
"Hush," says Dermut to quell Poppy's giggles and hiccups. "I hear something. It could be

trouble."
Dermut extinguishes his sword and Poppy covers herself with her invisibility cloak and disappears.
They see a torch light coming down one of the paths and can hear someone talking. "Someone's been here" says a voice. Dermut recognized who it was. It was Scabio! Dermut couldn't wait for the confrontation, the clash of swords that he loved so much; for he was an old war hero,a seasoned vet who couldn't wait to spill this man's blood. Dermut hated Scabio with a passion. He wanted to

hack him into a thousand pieces and feed him to the ogre. Too bad Poppy had killed the ogre like that.
Poppy wasn't so keen on all this killing, blood and hacking so she gave Dermut her sword to combine with his and hid her head under the invisibility cape.
"Let me know when it's finished." said Poppy in a muffled voice.
"Fine mercenary you've turned out to be!" shouted Dermut.
Dermut joined the swords together, there was an almighty flash of light and

a thunderclap. Scabio appeared with five of his men, all of which had their weapons ready. They all jumped Dermut at once and he couldn't take them all at the same time. He put up a great fight but couldnt win against these odds alone. Scabio sat and watched as his men brutally beat and killed their foe. After they left Poppy prayed for a miracle and lo and behold one happened. Dermut came back to life and his wounds were healed. Then Poppy said "I wont leave you like that again, I just froze up thats all"

"I'm sorry I let you down Dermut, I'll try to toughen up. What do you think we should do?"
"If we're going to beat this Scabio scum, we'll have to formulate a better plan. We can't afford to be killed all the time. The resurrection magic might not work next time. I think we should

follow them and catch 'em when they least expect it"
For they thought Dermut was dead.
They left the cave and found Scabio's tracks in the mud. Poppy was an expert tracker and she could tell exactly which way the gang went. She picked up this skill from many years of hunting and tracking big game out in the woods.
"They went this way" she said "down the mountain. It looks like they are going back to town."
"Let's hope we catch them before they reach town." said Dermut "We must stop them!"

"I wonder," said Poppy, "if Tifflewig would help us. A long time ago I rescued a wood-elf from a cave shaft he'd fallen into. He promised he would repay me if I should ever need his assistance. They are only small, but have very strong benumbing spells. Wood-elves usually keep well out of the way of humans but he told me where he lived. Let's go find him, it's not far from here. We'd better hurry if we're to beat Scabio and his men before they disappear."

Poppy led the way to a massive oak tree with a small red door. She knocked and they waited. No response.
"Oh, I forgot. He never answers the first knock." Poppy knocked again, this time there was an answer. Tifflewig sheepishly opened the door.
"Well if it ain't Poppy Girl. How's yer mum?" he looked at Poppy. "Looking at your face I can tell you need my help."
"Yeah," says Poppy "do you still have that flying carpet? We need to travel fast."

"Sure," said Tifflewig, "it's a bit moth eaten but it still works."
"Can you come with us and we'll tell you all about it on the way?" asked Poppy
They all boarded the flying carpet, avoiding the holes so they didn't fall through and took off with a jolt and a lurch.
"Sorry," said Tifflewig, " I'm a bit out of practice, my licence has expired but hopefully there's no elf-cops around."
They explained to Tifflewig how they needed him to benumb Scabio and his gang so they could dispatch them quickly.
Suddenly, way below them walking through the trees, they spied the nasty bunch. Tifflewig inexpertly started to guide the magic carpet towards the ground whilst they all clung precariously to the sides.

They landed right in front of the mob. There had to have been 10 of them, all in leather armore that would protect them from stab and cut wounds. Someone in the gang saw the carpet and shouted a warning. "we've got company."
This warning took away any chance of suprize.
The three heroes proceeded quickly. Poppy gave her invisibility cloak to Tifflewig. He was an archer and needed to be unseen and at a safe distance from the brawl, for he was bad at hand-to-hand combat. How could he help if he was dead.

Pifflewig hid behind a tree and took aim with his bow and arrow. His benumbing spell only worked if he hit his target and most of their bodies were protected with the leather armour. He was an expert bowman and managed to hit each man except Scabio. They were completely disabled by the spell and collapsed in an untidy heap on the forest floor.
Scabio had spotted Poppy and was giving chase, albeit slowly as his armour was slowing him down. Poppy suddenly rounded on him and threw Lakewind at him with all her might. However, his armour was too thick and the sword just bounced uselessly off. Scabio was really just a bully and coward at heart and usually let his henchmen do his dirty work, but he felt that Poppy was no match for him. He lumbered towards her, hands out-stretched, ready to throttle her

when Dermut stepped in.
He stould a whole foot taller than Scabio. He stepped up and activated his sword, which would cut through anything especially leather. The two locked swords. Scabio's sword grew red hot and melted into a totally useless form and he dropped it.
Scabio then fell to his knees awaiting the death blow.
Dermut pittied him and decided to take him back to the judge. This is the end of the story. Justice prevailed and the three heroes became legends.

Back