• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Strindberg fans?

savvyambrose

I just bought a book of his plays, and I've only read one of them - The Father. I found it to be interesting, but upon talking to my theater friend discovered it was meant to be an outcry against women ("He basically hated women at this point").

Anyone else know about Strindberg? Like him? Hate him?

I've read more of his novels and poetry than his plays, and I'm a bit torn. Some of his early work is pretty fantastic - The Natives of Hemsö, for instance - and he certainly played a part in revolutionising Scandinavian fiction, but as modern as he seemed 100 years ago, he hasn't aged all that well; especially, like you say, his views on women are a bit off-putting at times.

But when he's good, he's really good. Everyone should read the short story Half A Sheet of Foolscap.

Thanks for replying! I just read Half a Sheet of Foolscap and I found it to be much more enjoyable than The Father, despite it's short length. I love this line: "It was a slice of a human life on half a sheet of foolscap."

August Strindberg: The Father

Strindberg is said to have written his personal experiences in his work.
This play is one that focuses on the relationship between men and women.It is also said that he had something against women...

In The Father a man is brought to madness and driven out of his home by the suspicion that his daughter is not his own child.

The Father

I just bought a book of his plays, and I've only read one of them - The Father. I found it to be interesting, but upon talking to my theater friend discovered it was meant to be an outcry against women ("He basically hated women at this point").

Anyone else know about Strindberg? Like him? Hate him?

He's great!!!!

Back