• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stuart Neville: Collusion

There is a third in the series now, came out a few months ago. Stolen Souls, A Jack Lennon Investigation in Northern Ireland. I have it in the TBR stack, waiting patiently. Neville has a great series going.

There is a third in the series now, came out a few months ago. Stolen Souls, A Jack Lennon Investigation in Northern Ireland. I have it in the TBR stack, waiting patiently. Neville has a great series going.

Hi pontalba: Is this a police type investigation or is it a spooky one?

Pontalba, Canuck

I too have the book. I was lucky enough to be in Dublin, when Stuart Neville did his launch there, at the Gutter Bookshop. There was a dream element to the first two books, with Gerry Fagen's sleep being troubled by visions of the innocent people he had killed (in the Ghosts of Belfast), or of the young woman he is trying to save (in Collusion) but I wouldn't call it spooky.

What many people couldn't take was the violence, but when you take a close look at the writing you see that there is not that much descripion of the violence itself. It's the way Neville builds up to it that has readers shaking.

In the interview he gave in Dublin, Neville said that in this third novel he has not used any paranormal/dream stuff or anything about the Northern Ireland troubles. He set out to write a classical, action-packed thriller. I will get around to reading his third book soon, but I anticipate it will give me the same pleasure I got from the first two.

Cheers,
John

Pontalba, Canuck

I too have the book. I was lucky enough to be in Dublin, when Stuart Neville did his launch there, at the Gutter Bookshop. There was a dream element to the first two books, with Gerry Fagen's sleep being troubled by visions of the innocent people he had killed (in the Ghosts of Belfast), or of the young woman he is trying to save (in Collusion) but I wouldn't call it spooky.

What many people couldn't take was the violence, but when you take a close look at the writing you see that there is not that much descripion of the violence itself. It's the way Neville builds up to it that has readers shaking.

In the interview he gave in Dublin, Neville said that in this third novel he has not used any paranormal/dream stuff or anything about the Northern Ireland troubles. He set out to write a classical, action-packed thriller. I will get around to reading his third book soon, but I anticipate it will give me the same pleasure I got from the first two.

Cheers,
John

Good review JJGaynard, I think you summed it up nicely. I liked the way Neville presented the "ghosts" as being either what they appeared, or figments of his imagination. His very guilty and active imagination. I liked Fagen a lot.

Great that you were able to actually attend the launch!

Hi pontalba: Is this a police type investigation or is it a spooky one?

As the books progress, they do become a little more "procedural" types, but not completely. From JJGaynard's remarks from Neville, I'd say the third probably is moreso.

I'm moving it up the list, for sure.

Back