• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stupid question, but I really don't know...

biomajor009

This could be the silliest question ever but I have to order the book, Wide Sargasso Sea (Trade Ed) - can anyone tell me what the Trade Ed means? None of the versions I've found say anything like that. Thanks!

That is not a silly question. I found it to be quite interesting, and looked it up. I quote:

Trade edition: The edition of the book made available to and sold via the normal distribution and sales network, i.e., bookstores. The term is seldom used except when there exists also a Limited edition.
When a book bears the phrase "first trade edition", you may assume that is was preceeded by some special, probably Limited edition.

I really should get around to reading that book, since I loved Jane Eyre so much!

The short answer: in the United States, a trade paperback is somewhere in between a paperback and a hardback in size, price, and paper quality.

Trade paperbacks are (apparently) not marketed in Europe, so most Europeans don't know what they are.

The long answer: Why Size Matters

...and more details (from Wikipedia):
"Paperbacks include inexpensive mass market paperbacks, in the standard "pocketbook" format generally printed on inexpensive paper, which will discolor and disintegrate over a period of decades, and more expensive trade paperbacks in larger formats printed on quality paper, sometimes acid-free paper.
"A Format" paperbacks are 110mm x 178mm (4.33" x 7.01")in size, "B Format" paperbacks are 130mm x 198mm (5.12" x 7.8"), while "C Format" (trade paperbacks) are 135mm x 216mm (5.32" x 8.51").[1]
A mass market paperback (MMP or MMPB) is a small, usually non-illustrated, and inexpensive bookbinding format. They are commonly released after the hardback edition, and often sold in non-traditional bookselling locations such as airports, drug stores, and supermarkets, as well as in traditional bookstores. Many paperbacks, especially in the area of genre fiction, are first editions in paperback and never receive a hardcover printing. This is particularly true of early novels by new writers.[2]
Mass market paperbacks are distinguished from hardbacks also by the different business practices that publishers and booksellers apply to them. When booksellers note that books have been in stock a while and have not sold, they may return them to the publisher for a refund or credit on future orders. However, in the case of mass market paperbacks, this "return" usually means stripping the front cover, returning that for credit, and pulping the book itself. Changes in the costs of printing relative to the costs of shipping have led to the creation of trade paperbacks, which are similar in format to mass market paperbacks, but larger (near hardback size), usually printed on higher quality paper, and with different returns policies applied to them."

Trade editions have larger page size, better paper, larger print - and are far easier for my aging eyes to read. Also they stay open better, probably because of the larger page size.

It is interesting that at local library book sales they price the mass market paperbacks (50 cents) and the trade paperbacks ($1).

The trade paperbacks should smell better also, but don't count on it.

Back