• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stupidest Romance Plot Ever

Ashlea

I know, I know, I'm the one who is USUALLY actually defending Romance as a viable genre, but I just found this plot summary while browsing the harlequin website.

The Stone Prince - Gena Showalter

Katie James is unlucky in love — so unlucky she's been reduced to kissing the marble statue in her own garden. But her luck changes when the statue warms to life in her arms — and turns out to be a hunk straight out of any woman's fantasy! Well, almost…Jorlan en Sarr hails from a distant planet and like all the other men Katie's known, he comes with a lot of baggage.

Entombed in his stony skin for centuries, Jorlan has been waiting for a maiden fair to break the spell. Yet this statuesque beauty with the will of an Amazon and kisses like flame is a far cry from the obedient damsels of Imperia. And though Jorlan is tempted to abandon all for the sake of Katie, unless he can convince her to give him her heart in two weeks' time, he'll be turned back to stone. And she'll be lost to him forever.

This almost sounds so dumb it's fun. Possible?

Too bad "Jorlan" wasn't "Jorlana" -- then SHE could have posed quite a dilemma when Katie felt herself slipping toward that unspoken human/alien same-gender passion... Maybe this isn't quite Harlequin's style, eh? (But then, I never knew aliens were, either.)

zackariah2000 said:
Too bad "Jorlan" wasn't "Jorlana" -- then SHE could have posed quite a dilemma when Katie felt herself slipping toward that unspoken human/alien same-gender passion...

LOL! That sounds WAY better.

Wow that's amazing. And just when I honestly thought that romance couldn't get any lower, they hit an all-time record. :eek:

romance novels

In the past I read romance novels avidly.

Note, the past.......When I realized what problems the thought stimulating process caused in developing the yearning for romance like the books advertised, I knew they were more trouble than the stimulation of the needs I was experiencing (sp).

Hmmmmmm, confusing huh?

I realized they made me want something I was not likely to realize in the real world so I was pouring salt on a wound. I made changes in my own life and got on with the show.

I guess I outgrew them.....but there are still many needy hearts hungry for a little tenderness and action. Life is life ....

:)

Jesus! You know, I'd be tempted to actually read this crap just to have a new worst-book-I-ever-read :p . No, honestly I don't read much romance at all, but this would really be the last thing I'd read.

I've just returned from a holiday in Greece where my sister took along several books she'd been given by a friend. One of them was a romance novel about a deaf guy who was in a relationship thing with a dyslexic girl. At the end, at a Karaoke bar. the deaf guy gets the girl's family to sing "I just called to say I loved you" to her (because obviously he can't sing). Unfortunately we can't remember what it was called. Or who it was by. But my sister says at least nobody in the book tossed their hair proudly like a thoroughbred horse which is, apparently what usually happens in romance novels.

I've recently read that book. For all those non-romance lovers who want to steer clear, it's called Paradise House by Erica James. However, for all those who enjoy reading romance, it is actually a sharp plot (for a romance novel), with intriguing and engaging central characters. It is, of course, massively cliched, but it's also heart-warming. I've read a few Erica James books, and her best IMO would be Precious Times.

magemanda said:
I've recently read that book. For all those non-romance lovers who want to steer clear, it's called Paradise House by Erica James. However, for all those who enjoy reading romance, it is actually a sharp plot (for a romance novel), with intriguing and engaging central characters. It is, of course, massively cliched, but it's also heart-warming. I've read a few Erica James books, and her best IMO would be Precious Times.

Well Maggy, my sister says you have appaling taste. I wouldn't know, I only got second hand snippets read out to me while I was trying to relax on the beach.

Romance Novels

If I wanted romance I would not pick the novelists today.....it seems that all these books are is one sex act after another tied together by a thin plot in order to call them books. And sex sells....and for some the dollar is god regardless of what it might fill anothers mind.

SEX IS WONDERFUL.....but for me the sex in books is the difference between beguilingly valed beauty and just blatant necked bodies.....no mystery so reading them is for sexual stimulation. This is my view.

And in so many of them sex is outside of marriage and is with several different partners in an attempt to find the right partner. For the most part they are just a bunch of selfish characters trying to scratch an itch.

Not to say I don't like a love story, but I see love as a mutual admiration society, not just sexual coupling and slobering.

Christmas1225 said:
If I wanted romance I would not pick the novelists today.....QUOTE]
I'm definitely with Chris on this one (or may I call you 25?). For the most wonderful romances I would reccomend almost anything by Howard Spring (But not Shabby Tiger, Rachel Rosing or the Dunkerly's books); try I Met A Lady or Time And The Hour. All of his best books have four words in the title for some reason. I don't know why, I don't make the rules. Have me in tears everytime and wishing that life could be like that.

Well Maggy, my sister says you have appaling taste.

That's the lovely thing about there being a *lot* of books - everyone's taste is catered for. I'm sure I wouldn't think a great deal of your sister's taste neither!!

Wait

Hey now - I just BOUGHT that book!

I bought it because it sounded different from what I normally see out there. I love romance - been reading it since college when I wanted to get away from some of my VERY dry economics classes!!! I get so tired of going to the bookstore and seeing pretty much all the same. :( I end up going home with a fantasy or mystery. But I still love my romance novels!

I'm not one to make judgements based on a book's cover, but I liked this one - it wasn't one of those cartoony covers (which were really fun at first, but are starting to grate). I looked at the front page and so I bought it. This book is second in my TBR pile, but I'm pulling it up to the front so I can start reading after Survivor. I'll report back!

Beth

Ashlea said:
I know, I know, I'm the one who is USUALLY actually defending Romance as a viable genre, but I just found this plot summary while browsing the harlequin website.

The Stone Prince - Gena Showalter

Back