• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Sue Grafton

yawn

How many books of the Grafton's alphabet have you read?
I've read B is for Burglar, G is for Grafton, I is for Inocent, K is for killer & S for silence.

I've read through "R" is for Richochet, but kind of bogged down in "S" is for Silence, maybe I just wasn't in the zone for it at the time.

I certainly did enjoy the others. Funny though, the very first one I read was "N" is for Noose, and didn't care for it and was put off of the series. A couple of years later I decided to try her again.....in order this time. It made all the difference for me. Zoomed right through them that time.

I have read them all, including U. Most of them are set in Santa Theresa which is really Santa Barbara. She got the Santa Theresa name from an earlier Santa Barbara detective writer, Ross Macdonald. I started reading her books because I have ties to Santa Barbara. I can visualize many of the scenes because she uses local landmarks.

I agree its best to start with A and work from there. I like her style, sparse in dialogue and always in motion. The characters have been developing over time. Lately, she has been building on the Milhone family history as a subplot. It is easier to follow the characters and subplots if the books are read in sequence.

I have been a little disappointed in the last few. I thought U jumped around too much, and the ending seemed almost an afterthought. Still, it was a good read if you are looking for something that is not too serious.

If you are looking for more serious work from a Santa Barbara writer, try T. Coraghessan Boyle.

I have read everything up to the latest one. I took a long break from her and then read R-T just recently. I think the break helped me appreciate them again.

B is for Burglar
C is for Corpse
D is for Deadbeat
F is for Fugitive
G is for Gumshoe
I is for Innocent
K is for Killer
M Is for Malice
N is for Noose
O is For Outlaw
Q is for Quarry
T is for Trespass
Alway thought of them as 7.
Good, fun read. Some better than others.

I have thought about reading some of these books. I have never read anything from this author and I am always looking for a new series or books from an author I have never tried. I've heard mixed reviews on the alphabet books though. I guess I'll just have to give it a go at some point.

Back