• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggest just one book to read.

I would suggest A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I read it for the first time for my High School English class and loved it. I've probably read it half a dozen times since.

Everthing is Illuminated is one of MY favorite books as well. I read it while biking across the Baja penisula and I was laughing outloud - everyone thought I was crazy laughing like that to myself.

I know you said one book, but I would also suggest A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy OToole (Pulitzer Prize Winner) it is as outrageous as Everything Is Illuminated.

Another all-time favorite is THE HAJ by Leon Uris. A fabulous inside look at the politics of the middle east.

Ok, I am changing my mind....

For suggesting JUST ONE book, I would suggest "Lamb" by Christopher Moore. Hysterical book, well researched and well written , and I am a real snob when it comes to anything with a 'religious' overtone. This is a gem.

Adding a new one: The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton.

Everyone has heard of, and probably read, Jurassic Park, and his other sci-fi novels. They aren't bad, but The Great Train Robbery is by far my favorite work of Crichton's. He has taken the testimony from the trials of the robbers who managed to pull off "The Great Train Robbery" back in Victorian times. The book is written as a documentary, but is not dry like most documentaries...it definitely has a fiction-flavor. Crichton also inserts tidbits about Victorian life, which are amusing, interesting, and informative. The book is great fun to read, and often overlooked by many people. With its action and adventure, along with the historical perspective, this is the type of book that appeals to mystery-lovers, history fans, and those who enjoy classics. I thought this book was lots of fun and highly recommend it.

I think everyone should get their hands on Arlette Cousture's Les filles de Caleb, or a translation if you don't know French.

It's a touching story about the life of the author's grandmother. It starts out like a perfect fairy tale romance but by the end of it you're crying buckets, but you strangely don't feel depressed. It's a lesson of life and love and how to cherish all that life gives you.

Here's one I read twenty years ago, and still remember, so it must be good. I offered it to Dave, who was looking for a book to read. Dave looked at the cover and said "You're kidding, right?" I said "No, serious. You'll like it." He said "I don't like Science Fiction." I told him he'd like this one, take it and get out of here. He took it only because it was all he was going to be offered.

Next day he said Yes, it was good, but he doesn't like short stories. I told him it wasn't short stories. He said yes it was, he'd finished the first one and was reading the second. I said no it wasn't, keep reading, you'll understand, get outa here.

Bastard never gave it back.

Book is "The Fifth Head of Cerberus" -- Gene Wolfe. A clever, intricate little book, a bit like a jigsaw puzzle. Or maybe more like a complicated piece of machinery, all its parts fitting together perfectly, and working perfectly, as perfect machinery would, were there ever any such thing as pefect machinery. Science Fiction not of the Space Adventure kind; rather an adventure in psychology, sociology and anthropology.

"Transcendance" by RA Salvatore. Why? Because this books tells about a Aboriginal country is taken over by a war mongral that leads the ever intimidating country of the Chezru religeon. After the country is taken over, a lone ranger, trained by the Elves returns to her country and frees them from the Chezru's grasp. the book combines politics, tactics, emotions and amazing battle scenes (which RA Salvatore is famous for). It actually features a female protaginist, whoch is often seen these days. If you read this book, and feel intrigued to read its sequel, "Immortalis", I suggest you read its prequel "Ascendance".

I would recommend
"Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes

It the sweetest book I've ever read, but be warned it is also the saddest(except for Where the Red Fern Grow- I've got a soft spot for animals).
It is written in the form of a diary of a man in his 30's and he is mentally challenged(or ritarded, as some might say...but I don't like to use that word because it sounds a tad Barbaric, don't you think?) It depicts the man's journey as he undergoes a surgery that will raise his I.Q. and the afterward effects he feels, such as emotional effects, relationship effects.
This is the absolute best book I have ever read(though I haven't read as many as I would have liked)! And I hope whoever reads it enjoys it as much as I did. :)

pillars of the earth by ken follett. for sheer page turnability. it is set in medeival england and tells the story of a prior trying to get a cathedral built. riveting, i know! but the cast of characters and the different story lines of love and betrayal, good and evil, and the strength of the human spirit, surrounding this main character will keep you up WAY past your bed time. it is a book i recommend to first time readers( regardless of it's hefty size) and to well read folks alike.

StillILearn said:
"Jack Maggs", by Peter Carey

(Also his "My Life as a Fake".)

:eek:

I cheated.

I liked Jack Maggs very much, thinking of it along the same lines as a Dickens novel in which coincidence plays an important role. But my husband thought it strained credulity and he didn't go for it at all. Haven't thought about that book for a while!

Hi, novella

Did you read "True History of the Kelly Gang"? I'm struggling with that one -- but I think you're right about "Jack Maggs" being almost Dickensian.

Well, I'm re-reading...

"House of Dawn", by N. Scott Momaday right now, and if I'm re-reading it, I guess I must think it's pretty damn good.

And that reminds me of another book that you all may not have read: "Consider This, Senora", by Harriet Doerr. I'd consider reading that one again someday. Doerr wrote it when she was well on into her life, and the simplicity of her prose is quite commendable...

I sure am glad I finally found this forum.

:)

I'm going to have to come back with pen and paper to write all these suggestions down - I've heard of most, but some of the others sound fantastic, too.

One book: Maurice by EM Forster. Much better than all the others as it doesn't have his normal sappy females and there's no death and no Italy.

It's about Maurice (obviously!) and there are some beautiful bits in it. His body educates his soul as he comes to terms with the person he is sexually. My favourite quote:

"Beautful conventions received them - while beyond the barrier Maurice wandered, the wrong words on his lips and the wrong desires in his heart, and his arms full of air."

It makes me want to cry, but I'm too busy finding it lovely to ever get to the tissues.

Back