• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggest just one book to read.

A difficult topic, as my tastes change as I read different books.

Ok this is the latest book I have read, but it comes highly recomended from a few sources:

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

Neil takes you on a stroll through a twilight zone version of London. It is dark and interesting, such a grand spin on what goes on in the shadows behind the London. I would suggest this book to anyone, but especially if you have ever actually visited London.

the bartimaeus trilogy by jonathon stroud

any more adult books i could recommend would probably be world classics, which everyone would know.

I would recommend everyone read Notes From a Small Island by Bill Bryson, because it's hilarious, and gives you a little history (and geography, naturally) of the UK.

Ive yet to read Dirty White Boys written by Stephen Hunter, but it has been highly recommended by a few of my friends. I plan on diving into it after I finish Angels and Demons.

I really can't suggest just one (which is why I haven't posted on the thread yet), but if I had to make a choice, I'd say Out, by Natsuo Kirino. It's such a fantastic, dark novel....shocking in parts too. :eek:

The Daybreakers by Louis L'Amour. I don't know what the world record is for most novels published, but this guy has got to be in the top 10. This was my first book of his, but it was really good for a western which I a genre I usually hate.

I'll change my one suggestion, from whatever I suggested previously, to The Color Purple by Alice Walker.

Watership Down

Watership Down Still have my first copy from 4th grade. I'm now in my 30's and have read it maybe 10 times.

Ya'll have some fabulous suggestions. As I read the list I kept saying yeah yeah I loved that one too!

I'd recommend ...

Robert Stricklin's "A Necessary Evil." It's the last book I've read (for the second time) and it's still as compelling, suspenseful and poignant as the first time I read it. This one really stands out in my mind and deserves a wide audience.

Interesting, finding threads like this one by scrolling down the page while browsing.

Anyway,

I'd recommend: The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne.

Everyone is exposed to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea in some form or another. Few know that Verne basically wrote a sequel. ;)

I recommend The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin.

Using the science fiction genre, LeGuin gives us a brilliant picture of what it means to be male or female by depicting a society in which the members switch roles. Each person is both sexes or either sex, alternately. Sounds sexy, but it's not, actually. A man (all the time) from earth comes there and he is perceived as a pervert.

Also the book is about friendship and dealing with adversity and legends and all sort of wonderful things. A warning: some people hate this book, but I loved it.

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

Like Takashi Miike's film, The Happiness of the Katakuris, this book is a million different stories and genres in one, not to mention beautifully written.

agreed. The Master and Margarita is one of those really unusual books that stays with you. not because you can relate to it but because there is so much interesting stuff happening throughout.

it's a short story but i would also suggest The Overcoat by Gogol.

Back